Chapter 11 - My World Shatters

I wake up with one thought.

Where am I?

It takes me about five seconds until everything of the past day comes back to me. I gasp, remembering the anti-aging antidote. I jump up and run to the bathroom, looking into the mirror.

My mouth opens to form an 'o'. All my pimples are gone. My blemishes, vanished. Don't get me wrong, my face was pretty clear, but it wasn't completely flawless. Now I look really good. No wonder everyone I encounter has awesome skin. I think to myself.

   I decide to take a shower, enjoying the hot water, the luxurious shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. After I finish, I wrap the towel around me, and walk back into the room in search of clothes. As I am about to go to the dresser, there is a loud knock on the door.

   "Um, this isn't the best time." I try to say, but the door bursts open with Derek. He looks at me and realizes what is going on, causing his face to flush. He turns right around and walks out.

   I shake my head, feeling heat on my cheeks, but ignore it and find a plain white button-up shirt and black pants with two pockets on the front and back. I am lucky enough to find undergarments, and I dress as quickly as I can, eager to get a few more questions answered. After that, I really need an escape plan.

   You seem to run a lot, a voice in the back of my head says. Shut up. I respond to it.

   My thoughts are interrupted with another knock. This time a voice sounds. "Are you ready yet? We need to talk." I hear Derek say.

   "Yeah, I'm dressed." I respond, and the door comes open. Derek shuts and locks the door and walks up to me.

   "We need to get out of here. Now. It isn't safe." Derek whispers. I'm taken aback by him. That was not what I expected.

   "Why isn't it safe?" I question, my face scrunching up in confusion.

   "I was walking around, gathering information. I found out that they are now raising nine Elites." He says, still in a hushed voice.

   "What?" I say, a little too loud, earning a pointed look from Derek. "What do you mean?" I ask in a lower voice.

   "They are raising an army." He must still see the confusion on my face. "They are going to enslave the human race."

   "They can't! Not with nine!" I exclaim.

   "Nine is more than enough. They have enhanced the antidote, increasing their power. They will be the most powerful beings ever created. If we don't get out of here, they will use us. I'm not sure how, but all I know is that we are just pieces in their plan. We. Must. Get. Out." He says, sounding out the last four words.

   "How? I'm pretty sure they'll notice that we're missing." I state.

   "I've got that planned. All I need you to do is gather essentials and fit it into a backpack. Got it?" He asks. I nod and he looks satisfied. "Meet me in the lab in ten minutes. Do not let on anything. Act as if you don't know anything about this. In fact, convince her that you are completely brainwashed. Bring your backpack with you, they won't think anything of it." He orders. After my vigorous nodding, Derek leaves, making me feel alone yet again.

   I grab all the stuff I can, the most important items and some pairs of undergarments. I'm about to leave, when I look back at the nightstand, noticing the vial of the anti-aging antidote. I grab that and slide it into the backpack pocket. I exit and head toward the lab, trying to act confident.

   I reach the lab, vials everywhere, surrounded by fascinating technology and various jars full of various, disturbing-looking contents. Charlotte greets me, that stupid, false smile plastered on her face.