Chapter 10 - Mother and Daughter

Boys sleep forever.  Seriously, they could probably sleep through a hurricane.

   I am sitting there, waiting for answers, while Derek is over there, snoring his head off.  Really?  I am resisting the urge to slap him.  Of course, with my luck, the guy who has answers is asleep while the people who won't tell me anything are awake.

   Finally, we land in LA, and I can't leave my mouth closed.  Derek woke up, finally, and looks at me and smirks.

   "Watch out, you'll catch flies."  He jokes, and I close my mouth, shooting him a dirty look.  

   "Listen, I haven't ever been here, so I'm just a little amazed."  I respond, not looking at him.

   Everyone exits the plane and we leave as fast as we can, not saying a word to each other.  One we get out, I look at Derek.

   "What are we going to do?  Where will we go, and how will we get there?"  I ask.  He glances over at me as if he forgot I was there. "And,"  I add, "when will you give me answers?"

   "I've got it covered."  Derek assures.  "As for answers, you'll find where we're going is way better."  He ends, leaving me wondering.  Before I get a chance to bombard him with questions, A black van comes up to us.  Derek gets into it, motioning for me to follow suit.  I hesitate, but decide that it'll be alright, and I enter.

   We drive for about forty minutes until we finally stop.  Once I step out, I find out that we reached a large, white building in the middle of nowhere.  

   I go closer to Derek.  "Where are we?"  I whisper.  He ignores me and walks to the building with the man who drove us here.  Jerk. 

   We enter the huge building and are met with a polished front room.  There is a woman there with a professional gray dress, neat shoulder-length brown hair, and a bored, annoyed look.

   "Hello.  How may I help you?"  She acts in a dull voice.  I read on her name tag that her name is Debra.

   Our driver speaks up.  "These are the freaks."  He says in a strong voice.  I narrow my eyes at him.  He didn't even seem to notice we were there.  

   Debra raises her eyebrows.  "Wow, Rob, they will be very pleased."  'Rob' nods, and begins to walk to another room.  We follow him, Derek walking as if he owns the place, and me trying to burn a hole into the back of Rob's face.  It doesn't work.

   We enter an equally polished sitting room, and Rob motions to the seats.  "Sit here and wait until they come to get you."  Rob commands, and with that, he exits through a different door at the opposite end of the room.   Derek and I sit down and after a few seconds, I break the silence.

   "Where are we, Derek?"  I question.  For the first time in a while, he looks at me.

   "You wanted answers, so I brought you to the best source of them."  Derek responds.  He leans closer, and for the first time I've ever seen him, he looks worried.  "I'm sorry.  I figured they would treat us right, but it is apparent that we are just circus animals to them.  This may not go the way I planned."  He whispers, stopping and leaning back when the door Rob left from opens.  It reveals a short, blond women with a white lab coat with a black dress underneath.  She has black, rectangle glasses on her perfectly made-up face.  You'd think she would look nice, welcoming, but she looked eerie instead.  Almost like she would yell at you for not being perfect.  I secretly nickname her Perfecta.  I almost smile, it fits her so well.

   The women, or Perfecta as I nicknamed her, smiles a fake smile.  "Hello.  I am Charlotte.  It is such a pleasure to meet you two,"  She says, the smile looking unnatural on her face.  "Let me bring you into a more comfortable room to discuss and questions you may have."