𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐃𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐓𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐈 𝐌𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐘𝐨𝐮 ➳ soulmate au | natasha romanoff

●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘

Prompt: you have a timer that count down until you meet your soulmate. 

NOTE: i published this on a natasha book i started a while ago but now i'm republish it here

so if you think you've read this before, that's probably why...? (it's also on my ao3) 

this is basically chaos

Count Down Till I Meet You

The sun was a burning gas of light. The sky was blue. The grass was green (at least real grass). And the timer still clicks: 5 years, 11 months, 6 weeks.

It's simply a cycle of life you'd long gotten used to. It's a routine, and your day is the same every day, every second, and you wish it was different. Anything would be better than sitting alone in your room at night, the familiar loneliness creeping in and threatening to take over your thoughts. The morning where you would plastered on a smile and go on with your day as if nothing's wrong.

Everything is wrong. Nothing is okay, nothing is alright.

Sometimes you would wish for your soulmate, that they would just magically show up and make everything better. Make you feel loved for once in your life. Shows you that they won't abandon you, that they'll stay by your side forever. Your wish was simply a childish hope though, so, at some point in your life, you stopped believing. You stopped hoping.

It was a normal day, that's how everyone's life changed. You made breakfast before walking out of your small apartment toward your office. You were a journalist, mostly helping edit news articles before allowing the company to publish them. Your headache was back again, feeling as if you were hit by a hammer.

Rubbing your temple, you drank a sip of your coffee as you stood in the elevator, a yawn threatening to escape you but you held it down. You barely made it out of the elevator before a loud noise came from nearby and the whole building shook from the impact. Bracing yourself on your feet, your eyes flickered down to your left wrist, where your timer was tattooed. It was bothering you again.

1 hour, 3 minutes, 53 seconds.

You didn't think much about it, scratching it slightly before another headache hit. Bracing yourself on the wall, your eyes closed, another blast made you lose your footing. Groaning, you picked yourself up from the ground, the world around you blurry and voices entered your mind.

It was too much, all too much, and you covered your ears, hoping everything would go out. It didn't work, but another glance on your wrist made you feel even more anxious. 49 minutes, 10 seconds.

In this state you're in, you're not ready to meet your soulmate. You don't want to meet your soulmate. A selfish part of you hopes that you will meet your soulmate when the crowd of people are evacuating and you won't have to meet them. Because they don't need you, they don't need a burden.

The new voices in your head wouldn't go away and you covered your ears once more. Following the crowd of people that are making their way toward the stairs, you followed, leaning heavily against the wall for support, your backpack still held tightly in your hands.

Your jeans were cut below your knees and you pressed down on your elbow, the sight of blood made you freeze momentarily. But the crowd's push made you move your feet again, walking numbly down the stairs with the rest of them.

Go, go, go, were the only thoughts on your mind. Keep going.

Part of you wanted to just let the crowd push you, to just follow the flow. But another glance at your wrist made you keep moving again. 39 minutes, 34 seconds.

Maybe you never had given up the idea of a soulmate, just feel the need to give it up. Glancing out the glass window of this building, you saw a guy in a red suit flying with another guy in metal wings. Red lights were seen but you couldn't identify what.

The voices in your head were becoming louder now and your headache grew because of that. It was thoughts of panic, that made you panic even more, and your breathing started to become heavy and uncontrollable. But instead of the fresh air you smell when you stumble out of the building, it is the smell of ash and fire. The voices only intensify from here.

26 minutes, 5 seconds.

Glancing around the surrounding area that is now a wasteland, you heard gunshots after gunshots being fired into the morning, screaming, and the plea for help. You couldn't do anything but stand there, unable to do anything. You weren't trained to fight, at least you don't think you were. But there was a familiarity with the scene in front of you that made you rush in with unknown power and confidence when you saw a guy, Clint maybe (or Hawkeye), losing a fight. Your backpack was still strapped across your back and fragments of memories slipped in.

Tackling the soldier dressed in black, you threw a punch at his face without any second thoughts, disarming him and grabbing his gun. Your hands craved for something, but you don't know what. Instead of thinking more about that thought, you shot the guy through the head without another second thought.

It was... scary.

You know you killed a guy, but it didn't affect you as much as it probably should have. Clint stared at you in shock but shook his head when you gave him a shrug in response to his stare. You don't know what you were doing either.

9 minutes, 47 seconds.

That thought was even scarier as Clint got to your side, speaking up. "Who are you?"

"I don't have any code name," you said lamely and Clint sighed before asking again.

"Your name?"

"Y/n," you said simply, your eyes scanning the area again, looking for... something. You weren't sure what you were looking for but you know it's near, there's a feeling.

Suddenly without warning, Clint grabbed your arm. "Come on, I don't care who you are, you surely have potential. Nat needs our help."

"Lead the way," you nodded before running after him. Another glance at your timer made you freeze again but you were quick to hide it.

5 minutes, 1 seconds.

You kept on running, shooting soldiers along the way. Sooner than you'd expected, you saw a redhead locked in a fight with another soldier. Without another warning, you made your aim and shot the guy straight through the heart. Clint glanced back at you with an impressed look.

"I got that, Clint," the red-head called out and for a second, you lost your will to speak. Glancing down at your timer again, your eyes widened.

28 seconds.

"You can't thank me," Clint called back as the woman made her way over to the two of you. "Y/n here did the work."

"Y/n?" She questioned and you waved shyly. With another glance at your wrist, you found the seconds ticking down. 3 seconds.

She held out her hand and you made no hesitation when grabbing it. You pulled away when you touched her hands though, feeling as if electrocuted. She fared no better and you saw her grab her wrist. Her eyes widened when she saw you doing the same thing.

A smile made its way to her face before she held out her hand again and you took it. "Natasha."

"Y/n, but I guess you already know that," you chuckled softly, both of you knowing what happened, that the two of you are soulmates. And maybe you could give your soulmate a chance. "Nice to meet you."