Chapter 4

What does someone wear to go third wheel between her crush and her best friend? Estella decided on just a light windbreaker, blue long sleeve, jeans and her trusty white converse. It wasn't supposed to be too cold and it was only a short walk to Nicks house, so she should be fine.

Estella and Charlie walked a couple blocks to Nick's house, the entire time Charlie complaining about his haircut.

"Did they cut it too short?" He whines while Estella fixes the earbud in her ear.

Estella rolls her eyes at his dramatics. "It looks fine. Just like every other haircut you've gotten. Why are you so worried about this?" Charlies ears flush as he nervously scratches the back of his neck.

"No reason."

After a very cold walk, the duo arrived at Nicks house. Charlie moved to push the doorbell, but hesitated at the last second. Estella could practically hear what was going on in Charlie's mind.

"He wants you to be here y'know. Nick wouldn't invite you if he didn't want to. Now press the doorbell because I'm freezing my tits off." Estella says with a warm smile, despite the cold.

Charlie takes a deep breath then finally pushed the doorbell. "We can't have you freezing your tits off. You barely have any to start." Estella playfully starts hitting Charlie as the door opens.

"Hey!" Nick says excitedly. Estella nods shyly toward him with a smile, not really knowing what to say.
Charlie on the other hand is bright red as he replies.

"Hey!"

At that moment the cutest dog Estella had ever seen comes running towards them, barking.

Nick laughs as he says, "This is Nellie."

Estella immediately lets Nellie smell her hand before sinking down to her knees petting her. "Hi gorgeous! You're so adorable."

Nick smiles back as Estella looks up with the biggest grin on her face, her dimples on full display, his cheeks heating up a little. Charlie however laughs at Estella's interaction with Nellie. Where there's a dog, that's where you'll find Estella.

"Did- did you get a haircut?" Nick asks confused, touching Charlie's hair.

Charlie short circuits a moment before saying. "Is it bad?"

"No! No- You- it looks great." Nick says his cheeks flushed. Estella again feels that familiar tug on her heart. He definitely likes Charlie. "Okay come in or Nellie will think we're going on a walk."

Charlie holds out his hand to Estella, to pull her up from the ground.

All three stepped inside, glad to be out of the cold. Nellie weaves in between everyone, her tail faster than a helicopter.

"It's so cold." Nick shivered as Charlie and Estella took off their shoes. "Estella I have no clue how you didn't bring a jacket."

"I didn't realize it would be this cold. Besides I don't really have a winter jacket, I need to get myself a new one." Estella grimaced at the thought of having to spend even more money.

Even from the hallway, Estella could feel the warmth and love exuding from Nicks house. Hard to admit it but she was jealous.

"So this is my house." Nick welcomed them in. Nick and Charlie start to walk towards the kitchen, while Estella waits back, trying not to intrude.