Chapter 8

Charlie strongly protested Estella going back to school on Monday. Her shoulder still hurt like hell and she could barely move it. But Estella insisted on going, not wanting her grades to go down. He knew she was practically a ticking time bomb.

Estella had it made up in her brain that just because Nick and Charlie didn't like each other, did not mean he liked her. Charlie had told her all the events that happened on Saturday, including Charlie getting Ezra's number.

She was happy for them. Ezra was pretty open on being bisexual and Charlie needed someone he could be public with. He deserved it after everything he'd been through. They had been talking all weekend and were planning to meet each other for lunch.

Charlie reluctantly told Estella about Nick coming over to talk about his sexuality. He also mentioned that Nick had walked into the room and saw her shoulder. She really hoped that Nick didn't see her any different or feel pity for her.

Estella wondered what she'd say to Nick when she say him...

"So you've kissed my best friend-

Just completely forget that you saw my shoulder soaked in blood-

I really like you-"

There's no way that was going to happen. She decided that she was going to give Nick time and space to figure out his sexuality. And afterwards maybe- just maybe see if she had a chance with him.

But then again, what if confessing meant their friendship fell apart? Estella didn't want to admit it, but Nick had very quickly become one of her closest friends. How would she live with herself if something went wrong?

Charlie had somehow convinced her to spend form in the nurses office aka Coach Singh's office to get "more sleep." As if that was going to happen. Estella had barely slept since the party. How could she when every time she closed her eyes all she saw was her mother?

But missing form meant that she didn't have to pretend for a little while longer.

A gentle hand touches Estella's shoulder and she flinched hard. In a rather loud voice Coach Singh said. "It's time to get up. First period is about to start."

"Oh- thank you for letting me sleep." Estella rubbed the exhaustion out of her eyes, she had just laid there for the entirety of form, unable to sleep.

"Of course, now get going. Don't want to be late."

...

"Estella why are you hiding in my classroom again? I thought we were past this." Mr.Ajayi's voice rang throughout the art classroom. The very same classroom where Charlie and Estella would eat lunch in when the bullying was bad.

Estella hesitated, playing with the little lunchbox Charlie had packed her. "Well Charlie is getting lunch with his new rugby lad and I don't feel like talking to people."

"What about your friends Tao and Isaac? Why don't you sit with them?"

"Why would I when I can sit with my favorite teacher?" Estella gave him a sarcastic grin which Mr.Ajayi returned with a deadass glare. "Fine- don't get me wrong they're my best friends but they just don't know what I'm going through. And I'm worried that if they did, they wouldn't want to be my friend anymore."

Mr.Ajayi thinks for a moment before answering. "Well unless you're selling drugs or something like that, I don't see any reason why they would not want to be friends anymore."

Estella's eyes remain on the floor, unable to tell her trusted teacher the other reasons. Most teachers don't believe her anyway.

"Is there anything else you want to tell me?"
She knows that Mr.Ajayi would probably help her make sense of it all, but today is not the day.