The Great Escapist

Dean enters the library, carrying a tray of food, while I was sitting at the table, huddled underneath a blanket, going over some documents. "Alright, here we go. John Winchester's famous cure-all kitchen sink stew. There you go. Enough cayenne pepper in there to burn your lips off, just like Dad used to make." Dean tells me as he sets the tray down in front of me but I push it away.

"Yeah, we need to do the whole airplane thing with the spoon? When was the last time you ate?" Dean asked, sounding annoyed. "I- I don't..." I mumbled, shaking my head, then Dean talks over me. "Days, (y/n). It's been three days." He said and he pulls out a thermometer.

"When'd you get that?" I asked him, nodding to the thermometer. "When you started throwing off heat waves. I mean, hell, I've been having to sleep without covers because you're like a friggin' heater. Here." Dean said as he holds out the thermometer but I throw the blanket aside and stand up, stumbling.

"Enough, Dean. Please." I said, annoyed. "The bloody handkerchiefs, the fever, the shaky legs...this is not good." Dean tells me, concerned. "Well, I'm not good. And I'm not going to be good until we can start moving again. Until I can start the third trial." I shout. "Trial? I wouldn't let you start a moped. We're on the rails with this thing, okay, and the only way out of it is through it, believe me, I know. And you know how bad I wanna slam the door on all those sons of bitches. But you gotta let me take care of you, honey. You gotta let me help you get your strength back." Dean pleads.

"This isn't a cold. Or a fever, or whatever it is you're supposed to feed. This is part of it all. Those first two trials...they're not just things I did. They're doing something to me. They're changing me, Dean." I tell him but before he could argue his phone goes off and he pulls it out. "It's Kevin." He said and I sigh with relief. "Finally." I said and

Later, Dean opens Kevin's message on the laptop—it says WATCH THIS VIDEO NOW. He clicks the link and a video message from Kevin plays. "(Y/n), Dean. I've set up this message with some software on a remote server so it'd send itself to you if I didn't reset it with a command once a week. Which means I didn't reset it this week. And there's only one reason I wouldn't. Which means if you're watching this, then I...then I— I'm dead. I'm dead, you bastards! So screw you, screw God and everybody in between!" Kevin shouts, sounding a bit frantic, and I gasped at this.

"Crowley must've gotten to me. And the one thing I know is that I won't break this time. Not sure how I know, but— but I do. I've been uploading all my notes, the translations, I'm sending you the links so you can get all of it. You guys are gonna have to try to figure out the rest. I'm sorry." Kevin said then he starts tearing up. "I know it was my job, but I— but I couldn't...I'm sorry." Kevin cries and the video ends.

"Kevin..." I whispered, tearfully, while Dean angrily swipes a stack of books off the table. "Damn it!" he shouts, angrily.

Later, I was printing out Kevin's notes while Dean is on the phone. "Yeah, I know you haven't seen him, Bobby, nobody has. Alright, well, if you talk to Garth, well, just have him call in. Yeah." Dean said into his phone then he hangs up.

"Garth still MIA?" I asked him. "Yeah." Dean said. "How about the other prophets in line? I mean if Kevin is, uh...is dead, then won't one of them be activated?" I asked him. "Nothing, no, not a peep." Dean said and he paces. "Here we are. No lead, no tablet, squat." He growls.

"Well, I mean, we got all this." I said as I pick up a stack of notes and Dean sighs. "We should've moved him here." He said and I give him a sympathetic look.

*3rd Person POV*

Santa Fe, New Mexico

Cas sits at one of the tables of a diner, looking at his watch. A waitress, Kara, comes up and refills his coffee cup. "I guess I've been acquiring the taste." Cas said to her. "Yeah, the coffee's not too bad here." Kara said. "You know, I remember when you first discovered it. Before you started brewing it, you'd just chew the berries. Folk tale is true, by the way, you learned it from the goats." Castiel said.