Prologue

Hailey's POV
"Get down before you hurt yourself, Hails. I don't really wanna have to call an ambulance today," my best friend, Brock, says. I roll my eyes.

"Oh relax, Brock. I've done this a million times,"

I'm up in the rickety hay loft of my family' barn, grabbing hay bales and tossing them down to Brock. My parents have been meaning to fix the loft, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Brock insisted on coming up here instead, but I argued that I can do it myself.

"Oh no. I think I'm gonna fall!" I shout dramatically, pretending to fall.

Brock frantically runs up to me and holds out his arms to catch me. I burst out laughing and Brock's worried look turns to annoyance.

"I can't believe you fell for that. You should have seen your face," I say. Brock sighs.

"That's not funny, Hails. What if you had actually fell?"

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry. Forgive me?" I ask. Brock nods.

"Yeah. I forgive you,"

"Good. Now help me down," I say as I start to climb down the ladder. Brock frowns.

"Why do I have to help you down? You got up just fine,"

"Don't ask questions. Just help me," I whine. Brock sighs and walks over to the ladder. He grabs me by my waist and picks me up, setting me down on the warn wood floor. "Thanks Brock,"

I brush off the dust and straw on my pants and shirt and Brock starts laughing. I look up at him and frown.

"What?"

"You got some straw in your hair," he replies. I try to shake it out of my hair and try to pick pieces out myself.

"Did I get it?" I ask. Brock chuckles and shakes his head.

"No. I'll just get it for you," he offers, picking the straw out of my hair. I smile, my cheeks flushing at his touch, butterflies fluttering through my stomach.

Brock and I have been best friends since we were old enough to walk, but I started having feelings for him last year. I don't have the heart to tell him how I feel because I don't think he feels the same.

"Thanks Brock,"

"Don't mention it, Hailey."

Brock's POV
"I cannot wait to graduate, Brock. How 'bout you?" Hailey asks. I laugh.

"Yeah. I'm excited to graduate. You ready to go to Iowa State University?"

"Of course I am. Another four years of horseback riding for the equestrian team and studying marine biology. I'm so excited," Hailey explains. I smile.

We're in my truck driving back to Hailey's house after picking up feed for her horse, Dolly.

"I still don't get why you wanna be a marine biologist. I mean, wouldn't you rather become a veterinarian and take care of cows like the ones on your farm? Then you could still live in Arizona,"

"You don't know I won't still live in Arizona when I become a marine biologist. We do have aquariums here, you know." Hailey says.

"I know. I'm glad we're both going to the same college, Hails." I say. Hailey smiles and places her hand on mine.

"Me too, Brock"

I feel warmth run through my body and my cheeks flushing at Hailey's touch. Although I've been trying to deny it, I really like Hailey and I want to be more than friends. Only problem is that I'm sure that Hailey and I will only ever be friends.

Hailey's POV
Three Years Later
It's the night of the 2022 NFL draft and we're all waiting in anticipation to see what team Brock has been drafted to.

As the draft gets closer and closer to being over, I watch worriedly, wondering if they skipped over Brock. Finally, as the woman walks up on stage with a jersey that says Mr. Irrelevant with the number 262 on it, they announce that Brock Purdy has been drafted to the San Francisco 49ers.

I sigh in relief, glad that Brock was not looked over. But, I'm sad that Brock will be a few states over from Arizona. Brock walks over to me and scoops me up into his arms, hugging me tightly.

"Isn't this amazing?! I'm gonna play football in the NFL!"

"Yeah. It's awesome. I'm so proud of you, Brock." I say with a half smile. Brock's smile fades.

"What's wrong, Hails?"

"You're gonna be so far away," I reply. Brock sighs and places a hand on my cheek which makes butterflies flutter through my stomach.

"I'm only gonna be a few states over. Don't worry about it. We can still call each other and I'll come home when the season is over, okay? This is all part of God's plan. For me and for you," Brock explains. I smile.

"Okay,"

It sucks that Brock's going to be so far away and I wish I could go with him, but I'm not sure about moving to California just yet. Plus, he's right. This is all part of God's plan.