Chapter One - Lucky Number Thirteen

Hailey's POV
One Year Later
I can barely believe I'm now living in California. Me, a country girl from the middle of nowhere Arizona and lived on her parents' dairy farm till she graduated college.

When I graduated from Iowa State University last year, I worked at a small aquarium to gain some experience before working somewhere like the San Francisco Aquarium of the Bay.

I started work a couple weeks ago and I'm going to a San Francisco 49ers game today. It was the first thing I bought with my first paycheck besides groceries and I'm super excited to see Brock.

He and I lost touch after a few weeks because he got super busy with football. Even after the season ended, he didn't call me and he never came home to Arizona either. My mom tells me that it's because it's his first year in the NFL and he probably needs to stay in San Francisco for now.

I bought a Niners t-shirt yesterday which I pair with a pair of ripped jean shorts and a Nike air forces. I also bought a clear plastic crossbody purse with the Forty Niners logo on it off Etsy and I put my phone and wallet in it.

I pull my hair up into a ponytail and put on a Niners baseball cap to finish off my look. I grab my keys off the kitchen counter and leave my apartment, locking the door behind me.

*

When I get to the game, I find my seat and take a sip from the bottle of water I purchased at concessions.

As the Forty Niners walk out on the field, I see Brock at the head of them. His red Forty-Niners jersey is dawning the number thirteen.

Brock doesn't know how proud I am of him. Brock started out as a third stringer and got switched over to second stringer. Now, he's the first stringer quarterback. He proved everyone wrong and showed them that he wasn't "Mr. Irrelevant" like he'd been labeled last year.

I watch as Brock throws a football to the running back, Christian McCaffrey. The throw is perfect and McCaffrey catches it no problem. Brock jogs over to him and McCaffrey tosses it to him. The two exchange a few words, laughing at whatever they're saying.

I can't get over that Brock still looks just as handsome as he did the last time I saw him. I wish I had bought a VIP pass so I could be down on the field. Then Brock would know I was there.

Brock's POV
After talking to Christian, I jog over to the sidelines to get a drink. I grab a Gatorade squeeze bottle and squeeze some Gatorade into my mouth.

I look up into the stands and scan over the people in front of me, waving and smiling at all the people who are cheering me on. My eyes stop roaming the stands when I see a girl who looks familiar.

Her smile is unmistakeable and her light brown hair and brown eyes just confirm who she is. It's Hailey.

I haven't talked to her in almost a year and I wonder if that's why she never told me that she moved to San Francisco. I want to talk to her and I think the only way I'll be able to in person is if she comes down to the locker room after the game.

I ask a security guard if he could escort Hailey down to the locker room when the game is over. He tells me that he will and I thank him.

Hailey's POV
The Niners win and I cheer them on, excited that they won. As I go to leave, a security guard stops me and tells me that I need to come with him.