Chapter Two - Daily Morning Run

Brock's POV
"She's just a friend? Really? You two act like you're dating," Christian says. I sigh.

"Look, I do like her, but we're just friends. We always have been,"

"Well, maybe you should change that. Tell her how you feel," Christian suggests. I shake my head.

"Nah. I can't. I don't think she feels the same. Plus, I haven't seen her for a year. I just wanna hang out with her. She's my best friend,"

"Ugh. You sound like a high school kid," Nick says, wrinkling his nose. I frown.

"I do not,"

"Yes. You definitely do," Nick adds. I sigh, deciding not to argue with him.

"Where does she work anyways?" Christian asks.

"The aquarium here in San Francisco. She graduated college with a degree in marine biology a little over a year ago," I reply. Nick frowns.

"Really? Is she dolphin trainer?"

"Nope. She's not. She's a marine biologist. I would have thought that you would have put two and two together, but I guess not." I explain, rolling my eyes.

"Oh come on, Purdy. Leave Nick alone. He can't help being an airhead sometimes," George Kittle jokes, patting Nick's shoulder. Nick looks over at him and frowns.

"Very funny, Kittle. I was just teasing Brock because his girlfriend works at the aquarium,"

"Sure Nicky, sure." George says, patting Nick's chest and jogging away.

"She's not my girlfriend, Nick." I mutter. Nick chuckles.

"Sure Brocky, sure." He says, patting my shoulder like George had done to him only a few seconds ago.

*

After practice, my phone pings with a text from Hailey.

Hails

Hails
Hey Brock! Sorry if I
interrupted you during
practice. You still like your
coffee the same way as you
did before?

Brock
Yep. Do you remember it or
do you want me to tell you?

Hails
I'm good. I remember it

Brock
K. See you tomorrow

"What happening tomorrow?" Nick asks out of nowhere, making me jump.

"Uh, um, Hailey and I are starting our morning runs back up again, so tomorrow morning at seven, we're going for a run." I reply.

"Morning run?" Christian questions. I nod.

"Yeah. When Hailey and I were in high school, we started going for runs around her farm when we were done with farm chores."

"Wait, what? Farm chores? Brock, did you live on a farm?" Nick asks. I shake my head.

"No. Hailey did, but I worked there when I was in high school."

"Why would you go for a run every morning? Isn't Arizona like a million degrees all year round?" Christian says dramatically. I shrug.

"Well, yeah, it's hot there, but not in the morning before the sun comes up."

"Makes sense. See you later, Brock." Christian says, walking over to his car. I nod.