N I N E

》CHAPTER NINE《

Billie Henderson

I WISH I could drop out of Maths but sadly that isn't possible in college when you're retaking it because you failed it in high school; and since most of us are from a Mafia bloodline, maths is a need for our role in the family. Whether it's to calculate the amount needed for a dropout or for dealing with another mafia, some of us are going to need maths to quickly calculate the price.

But I won't be doing any of that because once I graduate from this college I'm getting myself out of all this mafia BS. I'm only a part of it now because of my –now dead– biological father who was a known druggie and bought from the Carnells regularly.

So every heir that sits in this class needs their maths for their future role in the mafia, sits at the front so they get most of the help and the teacher makes sure they're paying enough attention so they can pass this class. While others, mostly the women of this class and some younger brothers of heirs, are just here to fuck about because they didn't pass the first time around.

In this college, every teacher is a member of the Carnell mafia. There isn't a single soul in this college that doesn't already belong to the Carnells, whether they've met them in real life or have only heard of them.

So I'm currently sitting at the back of the classroom on my own drawing in my maths book with Deja Vu by Eminem drowning any other sound from reaching my ears. Behind me is a bookshelf with maths books and then a window which leads to another bookshelf to my right. A couple is sitting across from me giggling to each other and whispering sweet nothings in one another's ear.

I'm so glad I can't hear them.

Resting my chin against the palm of my hand I stare at the grey haired teacher who's aggressively pointing at an equation on the white board. I have to sit here for two hours three times a week and do nothing. I could be doing this at home. I would skip but that would end up with the Carnell's guards knocking at my door. It happened to two flat buddies one year who were bunking across the hall from me; both their sectors leaders were killed in suspicion.

So either way, I have to show up for my attendance and to keep Laurent out of trouble.

A silhouette steals my attention by the classroom door. She jumps up and down making her blonde hair swing behind her while an arm waves in the air as if she's 5 foot, nothing trying to get someone's attention.

When I wave Satori off, silently telling her to go away, she only offers a toothy grin at me noticing her on the other side of the door. At least she's stopped jumping. She looks beside her and says something to someone I can't see. Who is it? A teacher? Another student?

My curiosity spikes and when the bell rings I'm on my feet in seconds making my way toward the door to investigate. For all I know someone could be telling her to cool down and get rid of her energy. While I think having her energy in a place like this is amazing and rare.

When I open the door and step out, Satori stands in front of a guy who shares very similar features with her only with darker hair, though you can tell it's dyed with his blonde roots peaking in behind the black. I walk toward them and Satori breaks conversation with the guy to greet me before continuing. She talks about some dude in her class who's been held back for almost three years and that he isn't going to get a promise this year.

Stephan talked about a promise just before I left... but he didn't explain what it was. You will become a promise, and there is no option for you is what he had said.

Before I have the chance to ask, the guy nods with an eyebrow raised, probably wondering who that guy in Satoris class is. When he notices me still standing here he spares me a glance, looking me over before training his eyes back on his sister, "And who's this?" he asks, changing the conversation and pointing toward me.