Valentine's Day

It was Valentine's Day.

The worst day out of every day in the circus.

It normally wasn't a bad holiday, but living with an advanced AI who lacked certain knowledge and human emotions, the idea and concept of love went way over the ringleader's large head.

At least he was in the decorative spirit.

The usual colors of the circus were swapped out for traditional colors that matched the holiday, such as reds, pinks, and white. Objects were shifted into heart shapes while flowers that were actually nice to look at were hung up. If he was really feeling festive, Caine would sometimes add in candles and switch the colors on everyone's costumes to match with the circus.

The blues of Pomni's costume was typically swapped out to white, making her look like a walking peppermint for a whole day. She usually didn't mind it much, but after Jax went and revealed that they were dating, Caine went the extra length to now add hearts to her ensemble.

It was embarrassing.

Pomni had hoped that everyone would assume Jax was pulling one of his infamous pranks that day when he kissed her, thinking he was just messing with everyone in a new way and that they'd forget about it. She thought they would yell at him for doing such a thing, or maybe even try to comfort her.

But no. No.

Caine had to go and reveal to everyone that they'd been secretly dating for the past two years once their secret was out, having forgotten that the AI had eyes EVERYWHERE in the circus.

It didn't help that KINGER of all people knew as well, but being so scattered-brained he never mentioned it or brought it up to anyone's attention.

It especially didn't help when Ragatha tried to talk to her about it. As much as the ragdoll wanted to at least understand their relationship, all that did was make Pomni more and more embarrassed by the minute before she couldn't take it anymore and hid in her room for days wallowing in sheer shame.

Jax wasn't of any help. He had his own troubles with being yelled at by Zooble for some odd reason. The only ones who were supportive of her relationship with Jax were Kinger and oddly enough Gangle.

The ribbon-being had mentioned something about her ship becoming cannon while Kinger genuinely just supported the two of them.

By now everyone had begrudgingly accepted their relationship, yet that still didn't make her feel any better.

Pomni sighed as she looked at herself in the mirror, staring at the red and white costume littered with hearts all over it. Even the bells at the end of her hat and pom-poms on her suit had been swapped for hearts. It almost felt like it was mocking her somehow. On the day of love no less.

It made Pomni want to cry and throw up at the same time.

"Knock-knock~" The door to her room swung open, and the blight of her pain came in.

Jax's overalls had typically been left untouched during previous Valentine's, but after their relationship had been revealed, Caine had swapped the color to match Pomni's outfit, with red and white split down the middle and hearts decorating as well.

Did Caine want everyone to know they were an item? Or did he do it just for fun?

Pomni didn't know. She didn't want to know.

"Hey, why the long face Pom? Don't you know today's supposed to be all about smiles and joy?" Jax asked, his usual grin somehow seemingly more smug than usual. "What, did you have a bad night or something? Yesterday was pretty rough, so I got you a little–"