Aftermath

It was official.

The twins hated Caine.

Not even a full day after the incident, the twins showed their opinion about Caine.

"Meanie!"

"Dum dum."

"Stupiy!"

"Bad ingmemer."

"Oful I I!"

"Chicken."

"Big Dumb... ah... Big Dumb Dumb!"

"End endbr."

In short, the twins didn't like him.

They kept shouting insults at the master AI, but since they were only toddlers and Caine was rather oblivious to most insults, most weren't very creative or struck a chord in the ringleader.

Not only that, but they took to throwing things at Caine whenever he was in the vicinity.

"They really don't like Caine as they used to."

"It was bound to happen sooner or later. So no real surprise there."

"Well, yeah. I just didn't expect it to be this soon." Ragatha let out a small sigh, watching as Pomni tried to calm the twins down.

The mere sight of the ringmaster set the pair into tears, the memory of their NPC friend popping into colorful confetti was still fresh on their minds. Emily had always been a little scared of the AI, but seeing Emma reduce to tears was quite a sight.

The alternative of being sad was to get mad at the ringleader and scream out child-level insults that were more hilarious than hurtful.

Everyone was sure that after a few days, the twins would get tired of being angry at Caine. Upset and confused for years to come sure, but they were certain that they would grow out of being angry and return to normal.

Or. That's what they all expected.

Turns out, the twins could hold a deep grudge.

Three months rolled by, and neither twin were happy to be around Caine.

In fact, they seemed to hate him MORE.

They kept shouting more insults at him, getting more creative with their words as they went. A few managed to get Caine's attention, though the insults still kept flying over his head.

They even started to throw things at the ringmaster, from toys, to crayons, to books, pillows, blocks, spoons, forks, and digital foods. Anything they could grab, they would toss it at the AI, still upset at him for their friend's sudden death.

And Pomni wasn't even trying to stop them.

She understood too well the loss of an NPC friend to the ringleader, and she hardly did anything to stop either twin from showing their anger at the ringleader.

"I think you're enjoying this a bit too much."

"I have no idea what you mean."

"Uh-huh." Jax scoffed, leaning back in his seat with his arms crossed over his chest. "While I might enjoy seeing funny things happen to people, don't you think this whole thing's gone on for a while?"

"They're kids." Pomni shrugged as she fed another spine full of mashed carrots to Emily. "They're entitled to feel how they feel towards people. Even to certain ringmasters who should know better than to traumatize my babies."

"O-o-o-o-ooooo~ I love it when you're mean, babe. Nice and spicy underneath all that sweetness."

The blush marks on Pomni's cheeks glowed, ducking her head down to hide them as Emma chucked her bowl of mashed food at the ringleader.