Looping History

It had been a horrible mistake.

One she should have seen coming miles upon miles away.

One she should have been able to stop before it happened.

But of course, she had been too slow.

"Girls! Girls, it's okay!" She tried to sound strong and brave, but her voice came out wavering and slightly broken.

Why? Why did this feel so familiar to her?

"E-Everything's going to be okay." Would it? Would it really be after they saw that?

How it had been so eerily similar to what happened with him.

Pomni wanted to cry. She wanted to break down and join her little twins, brawling her eyes out along with them as they cried over the loss of a friend.

It was horrible.

She had foolishly agreed to allow the twins to follow along. Not to participate, but to observe. She hadn't been comfortable about the idea, but she was promised that the twins wouldn't be involved in the adventure in any way, shape, or form, and she gave in too easily.

She didn't hold high hopes, but just as promised, the twins were kept out of the adventure and kept under the watchful eye of a nice NPC. The adventure was agonizing, but every time she looked over at the twins, she was relieved to see them happily playing without a care in the world. Once it was all over and she went to collect the twins, she found the most adorable thing.

The daughters made a new friend!

A NPC, but still a friend!

Their friendship with the NPC was so sweet. The girls were bonding so well with them. They were so happy.

And then Caine.

GOD CAINE.

Why did he DO that?!

Why couldn't he let them have ONE friend in this awful place?!

A part of her knew this would happen, but she had been so foolishly overjoyed with her daughters having a friend that she overlooked it and assumed things would be different this time.

Things weren't different.

History only repeated itself to a younger generation.

She looked to the others, having a small hope that they could help. The others hung back, having looks of mixed empathy, pity, and pain on their faces as the twins' cries echoed in the area.

She could see the pity and regret on Ragatha's and Gangle's faces, the somewhat stoic and sympathetic look in Zooble's eyes, sanity returning to Kingers eyes for just enough to understand what was happening, and Jax...

Well, she knew how he felt about NPCs. He didn't really care much about them other than to make them suffer for his own amusement. He could be so cruel and mean to them without a care in the world of what or how they felt. Dismissive and horrible to them despite how they could feel and think for their own.

Yet, she could see it.

The way he was masking it under his bored face, his eyes almost giving away how he really felt as the twins continued to cry. She knew he was feeling something, as he was still hanging around instead of wandering off when he really didn't care.

She wished she could rely on him on this, but at the same time, she didn't want him to somehow hurt the girls more with his dismissive care of their friend's death.

"H-Hey." She turned her focus back on Emma and Emily, trying to wipe the tears from the twins' faces as they cried their little hearts out. "I-it's... I-I know that..." She fumbled over her words.

How could she fix this? The twins were so young and seeing THAT... she didn't know what to do.

"NOW WHAT'S WITH ALL THE CRYING, YOU TWO?"

Pomni's face hardened as the ringmaster floated beside her and the twins, looking down at the pair with nothing but curiosity.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE GIGGLES AND LAUGHTER YOU HAD JUST MOMENTS AGO?"

Pomni glared at the AI, pulling her daughters close to her to shield them from the horrible creature.

Was he serious? Was he absolutely SERIOUS right now?! After what he just pulled?! After what he did just minutes ago?! How could this *#&@(# of a @*&!(@ ringmaster not see the &#(*$&@) PROBLEM?!

"COME ON NOW! CHEER UP YOU TWO!" Caine kept talking, all in that same cheery oblivious manner that didn't understand. That NEVER understood. "NO NEED FOR ALL THESE TEARS! THIS IS A PLACE FOR SMILES AND–!"

"Caine. I think you should go." Pomni hissed, tucking the twins close to her chest. "Now."

Caine blinked in surprise at her, and she felt her anger towards the AI boil as he gave her a confused look. "WHAT? WHY? IS IT MY BREATH? I KNOW I HAVEN'T BEEN BRUSHING MY TEETH THAT OFTEN BUT–"

"Will You Just Shut The *#&@(# Up?!" Pomni shouted, causing Caine to flinch. Normally she would have frozen up or been in too much shock to say or do anything to Caine, but this time. This time the AI went too far. "Can't You See What You've Done To My Daughters?! How They're Crying Because Of What YOU'VE Done?!"

"... ER, WELL I SEE THAT THEY ARE CRYING, BUT I DON'T–"

"OF COURSE YOU DON'T! YOU NEVER DO! YOU'RE JUST A DUMB AI WHO CAN'T UNDERSTAND HUMANS FEEL OR THINK AT ALL! LET ALONE A PAIR OF CHILDREN!"

She felt a small sense of satisfaction seeing Caine flinch and stutter. Oh how she wanted to tear him a new one right here and now, but the twins came first in this situation. She could deal with Caine later. Her babies needed her right now.

Scooping her children up, she gave Caine one more nasty glare and set off to her room. She wanted nothing more than to be left alone and try to calm her distressed twins down.

She felt someone following behind her, feeling irritation tickle the back of her mind. She didn't want to deal with anyone else right now. Especially if that someone was Caine.

To her surprise, she found Jax walking behind her. Once the rabbit met her eye, he picked up his pace, bending down and effortlessly taking Emily from her. "I've got this one."

The jester was surprised by the rabbit's sudden attention and care on their daughter, but didn't say much about it. She was rather grateful actually, as Emily usually went to Jax for comfort and he was better at calming her down than her. She only nodded in thanks, turning her attention to Emma, and hoped that this day wouldn't leave such a deep scar on the twins' young minds.