Burning

Liam ran as fast as he possibly could through the forest his eyesight blurred from the smoke and ash in the air from the flames that engulfed the majority of the forest.

Please be alive Lilly, please don't leave me like everyone in my past life.

Liam ran up to the gate and leaned against it to catch his breath, he looked up and witnessed the horror that the demonic creature had started. Almost every house was already destroyed and hundreds of innocent elves were on the ground burning and screaming or already crushed by burning rubble.

An ear-piercing screech could be heard from the middle of the village, the voice was eerily familiar.

Liam moved without thinking and ran straight through the fire to the middle of the village, as his eyes met the reason for the screech his heart sank.

"Lilly..." Liam said running over the Lilly who was on the ground trying to extinguish the flames that covered her body.

"Get away Liam, you'll burn too," Lily said looking up with pure despair in her eyes.

"I'm already burnt so let me help you," Liam said as he tried to quickly create a vacuum to extinguish the fire.

"Liam..." Lilly spoke as the flames dissipated from her but they already took their toll on her.

"Lilly... This is all my fault." Liam said as his magic gave out from overuse in his previous encounter.

Lilly reached out and placed her hand on his cheek as he turned his head towards her.

"Your smile was always really cute... So, please... Don't stop smiling..." Lilly's hand left her left cheek and she fell backward onto the ground hitting it causing the ash from the ground to move and get caught by the wind.

Her eyes closed and the ash settled again covering her burnt body.

I tried everything I could... but she still succumbed to the fire. The purple glow and screams of pain hurt my soul, and now I feel empty without her.

Liam stood up in the middle of the once elf village that was now just a pile of ash surrounded by still burning trees. Purple flames danced from branch to branch creating a beautiful yet terrifying display on fire the intensity of the fire caused to sky to almost be as bright as it was during the day.

He looked into the sky and couldn't help but bawl his eyes out, this was the first time he has cried in this new world so all his pent up emotions were finally escaping.

I thought I could finally be happy here, and just as I was... it was reduced to nothing but ash and memories. I thought this world was peaceful and full of adventure, but i was wrong, this world is terrible ... just like the real world that treated me like an outcast and took everyone and everything close to me away. I don't want to go back to my original life, but...

"I hate it here... I loved Lilly and now shes gone..." Liam said as he fell to the recently scorched ground and continued to cry.

I want to go home... But u don't know what home is, I thought home was the elf village but now my home is nothing but ash and innocent dead bodies.

Liam stood up and looked into the sky his eyes changing back to the cloud like shape from before which caused clouds to summon in the sky making an artificial rain fall that matched his tears.

"Why couldn't it have rain a couple minutes earlier? WHY NOW?" Liam sobbed into the sky falling back to the ground and almost passing out.

Why does pain always have to follow me? What did I do? What God did I piss off? Why do I have to bare these emotional scares and burn marks? Why does my presence hurt everyone around me?

Liam's mind was filled with millions of questions that he couldn't answer himself, he could come up with a logical reasoning for his pain, and he couldn't find a reason to keep going. He was ready to give up a second time already.

To be continued...