5.57 - Silika's Ex - The Sleepless Elite's wife

╔═══ Author's note ════╗

Edited by Psycho S.

╚═════════════════╝

Bing Shi debated with Xuan Mu as she sighed, "It feels nice to win against those who are way above my league. Do you think Mo Luwei was pressured by everyone to perform his very best because he's called a genius?"

"No, he's just your average cocky bastard. Don't think too deeply about him," Xuan Mu, with a spear now in hand and a look of annoyance on his face, dismissed the thought, "He had a sad past, but in this life, who doesn't have that?"

"Well, that's true," Bing Shi nodded in agreement, feeling the weight of Xuan Mu's words as she clutched her staff tighter.

Without warning, Xuan Mu slashed through the safety net's support. He watched, detached, as a figure fell towards a balcony below. The man's screams grew louder and more desperate, ending abruptly with a harsh thud against the balcony.

· · ──────── · ⊱❈⊰· ──────── · ·

Trapped in a vicious cycle, Silika's ex found himself leaping from balcony to balcony against a relentless timer. The sight of the ground below made his blood run cold, the threat of death a constant shadow over him.

The worst torment, however, was the utter isolation. Desperate for any sign of human connection, he dialed his phone, screaming into the void for friends, family—anyone to pick up. "Answer me, damn it!" he shouted, his voice hoarse with misery. When a call finally connected, his heart leaped with hope, only to be crushed as his frantic pleas for help were met with silence.

Police, too, turned out to be an unreachable lifeline. And on the rare occasion, someone appeared within shouting distance, he would yell for help until his throat burned, only to watch in horror as they continued to ignore him as if he was thin air. "Can't anyone fucking see me?!" he screamed into the uncaring expanse.

"I'm not a ghost," he assured himself, even as the physical pain of his exertions mocked him. His legs ached with each jump, bones creaking in agony, lungs searing as if aflame with each breath.

The architects of his misery, two figures who seemed to revel in his pain, ensured no escape. Attempting to flee this cycle by entering an apartment was futile; they'd cruelly reset him back to the start. Missing the time mark meant beginning anew, trapped in a hellish loop.

"Fuck! How do I get out?!" he raged, his mind a whirlwind of panic and fear. "What kind of sick game is this? ?" His voice broke, echoing off the uncaring walls, a testament to his despair.

Silika's ex's existence had become a never-ending nightmare; each attempt to escape met with failure, each cry for help unanswered. The cycle continued, a relentless test of endurance and sanity, leaving him to wonder if this torment would ever end.

· · ──────── · ⊱❈⊰· ──────── · ·

Xua Pu thought about his host's biggest trump card: her husband. All he had ever seen, up until now, was the busy Xuan Mu tending to his own problems and business. Bing Shi was only a bit more cost-efficient than Xuan Mu when it came to managing the business? Hmpf!

His host didn't spend even one-tenth of the resources that Xuan Mu would need to spend! Hmpf! No wonder Kuro bragged about her so much! He also felt like bragging about the host! Today, Bing Shi was a bit exhausted, so she let her husband take care of her business, but this... her husband was wasting his superpowers too much!

"You know what?" Bing Shi mused, perched on the rooftop's edge, her gaze sweeping over the city's nocturnal lights. The distant, desperate cries of Silika's ex barely reached her, lost in his own terror. "It's not the fall that's scary... it's the sudden stop at the bottom that's scary."