Chapter 4

The first thing I noticed was that my body was suddenly the same temperature as the water around me. It was like I couldn't feel it- I couldn't feel anything. It seemed to erase the barriers between where I ended and the pool began. I was the pool, in those moments.

I could see a bright light behind my closed eyes, and felt a soft pressure just above my head. I imagine it's similar to what your computer feels when you plug a USB stick into it.

I saw pictures flickering in front of my eyes. Brief glimpses of a shadowy figure, the feeling of wings attached to my back, a second voice coming from my own mouth, Sam laughing at something I said behind the gym, waking up in that room again, again, again, a-

And then, as if from another room, I heard someone yell.

"Get her out of the water!" Deacon cried. I heard the distinctive sound of metal against a sword sheath. Steps walking towards me.

"Let's go, let's go, let's go, let's go," Torrent said, her voice shaking. I felt hands wrap around my body. Suddenly, I was being lifted out of the water. I had my feeling back, and it felt very wet.

I stood up, feeling dazed. My body felt like jelly, my coordination having left when my lines disappeared. I blinked, still finding it hard to see. My vision was half-here, half-memory. In one half of my vision, Bethany was pushing me on a swing. I couldn't have been any older than ten.

Then, I heard a deep growl, and turned towards it. The memory was now superimposed over Deacon, who standing face-to-face with a shadow-figure. It was all distorted limbs and glowing red eyes, with no discernable features aside from a vaguely human outline. Antlers raised towards Deacon, and I screamed at the same time as my past-self squealed with joy.

"COME ON!" Torrent yelled, pulling me towards the steps. My body finally broke out of its fervor, and I waded through the water with panic welling up in my chest. My limbs felt like flame as the fear wracked my body, and my first instinct was to go, to help Deacon.

I stumbled onto dry ground, and immediately reached towards him. I looked up and saw the creature with its antlers stuck in Deacon's wooden shield, as Deacon struggled to keep it at bay. Other shadows were appearing in the corners, materializing as inky black smoke as they leaked off of the walls.

My younger voice came through the haze as I jumped off of the swing, landing on the ground. I felt the impact echo through my bones even as my knees remained on the floor. I heard my own voice ask, "Where's dad?"

"He'll be here soon." Memory-Bethany said, walking up next to me. She extended her hand down, offering it to mine.

"DAD!" I screeched, as I watched the shadow-mist wrap around Deacon's ankle.

Bethany lunged forward, stomping the tendril with her heel. She had two glowing whips in each of her hands, radiantly yellow against the backdrop of the cave. A loud crack was heard, and the shadows recoiled.

"Get her out of here!" She shouted, turning towards Deacon. Deacon immediately released his shield, turning towards me and sprinting.

I saw him in the distance of my sunny-day memory, walking towards me. I raised my little arms up and sprinted towards him, and he got down on a knee. As soon as I reached him, he scooped me up and spun me around. I laughed.

Now-Deacon picked me up off of the granite floor, throwing me over his shoulder. I made a small sound as some of the air whooshed out of me.

"GO, GO, GO, GO!" He shouted.

I felt a surge of concern, and extended my hand towards Bethany.

She was currently turning, laughing like a mad-woman as the shadow-creature fought to dislodge its horns from the shield.