Chapter 7

"Earth to Laura." My history teacher said, setting her book down on my desk with a solid thump. I jolted, nearly falling out of my chair. A girl in the back snickered. I turned back to look, but by the time I did, her friend was already leaning over. I could tell this was going to be a fight later by the look on that girl's face.

I hoped that this new wave of kindness wasn't going to slow down the progress that I was making towards burning out the last of the deerman in the matrix.

"Yes?" I asked the teacher. My eyebrows were raised, and my voice flat.

"I asked you a question." She said, her breath seeming to come out faster than her words. "Would you care to answer?"

I stared up at her, a fresh wave of resentment in my heart. I couldn't remember what she had been saying; I had been busy thinking about Clyde. He had supposedly moved schools over the summer, and now lived four hours away.

"Would you care to repeat yourself?" I asked, sitting up as straight as I could. Honestly, being startled earlier had taken more out of me than I would care to admit. I was still in a wheelchair for now, but my arms didn't work much better than my legs did.

She gave me a long look from over the rim of her glasses, her eyes beady and scolding. She had taught history last semester, and I had been the star student.

"When class is over," She said, "I would like you to have Madeline take you to the guidance counselor, instead of taking you to your next course."

"Whatever." I said, slouching down.

A hand gently raised in the second row, and Miss Cara pointed towards her. She gave a perfect answer. I wasn't listening; I had already moved on to doodling a waterfall in my notebook. I hoped that Miss Cara would see it. I hoped that she would recognize this place somewhere deep down. I hoped that some small part of her would remember the sacrifices that I was making for them.

After all, some of those memories were giving me trouble sleeping at night.

The bell rang, and Miss Cara's voice carried on above it. "You are not dismissed until I tell you you are dismissed! I will remain here until everyone has returned to their seats."

The few students that hadn't been in AP history last year were still getting used to her strict teaching style. Several of them grumbled as they let their backpacks fall off of their shoulders, and slouched back into the plastic seats.

"Let me remind you of the requirements of the historical tides essay that is due on Monday. You must-"

I tuned out the rest of what she said. The sound of my pencil lead scraping against the notebook was far more interesting.

It wasn't like any of this even mattered, anyways.

The bell rang. I was expecting a stern reminder from Miss Cara to head to the office, but as soon as she dismissed us, she turned around. She picked up the phone and dialed, tapping a foot impatiently while it rang.

"Sorry I'm late." Maddie apologized, her voice coming from the back of the room. "I was finishing up my trig test. I honestly don't even know why I bothered, I'm gonna get a C with or without the last question."

I don't know why she even apologized. She was always a little bit late and always off in a rush right afterwards. Talked as little as possible on the way.

She grabbed the back of my chair, pulling me back. My hand came off of the desk and the notebook fell on the floor with a plop. I turned back to look up at her. Her face turned red as she came around me, bending down to pick it up.