Chapter 12

My heart was beating against my ribcage as my friends parted in front of me. I didn't know what to say; my mouth was dry, and my hands were sweaty. Deacon let go of my hand, letting me walk towards the gazebo myself.

I reached down, and pulled up my dress. It was now or never; worrying about it wasn't going to make anything any easier.

He's your soulmate. I told myself. You aren't going to make a fool of yourself.

I walked briskly down the aisle, the light of the moon reflecting off of my shoulders. I made it to the steps, and he had moved, facing towards the water. I walked up to them, and paused, turning back.

I don't know when it happened, but everyone had vanished back to the festival. I was alone.

I turned back towards him, and walked up the stairs, over towards the rail on his right. I leaned forward, my arm brushing against a little section of ivy as I leaned down. I looked across the water, gazing at the reflection of the moon as it rippled on the lake.

"I always thought you'd be the first to speak." He informed me. I looked over to see a smile across his face. His jawline was chiseled, his eyes a deep brown that I could get lost in for hours. His nose was pronounced; just the right amount of wow that made it a focal point of his face.

As he had been when I had first seen him in class, he was the most handsome boy I'd ever met.

"Fancy seeing you here." I responded, and stuck out my hand. For him to shake. Like an idiot.

He stared at it for only a moment before shaking his head, a small smile turning into a wide grin. He reached out, grabbing my hand and giving it a sharp shake. His fingers were warm and soft when they wrapped around mine; it was impossible not to notice how nice his skin felt, how right it felt to touch him.

"Should we commence the business meeting?" He teased, releasing my hand. I tried not to notice how empty my skin felt now that he was no longer touching it.

I nodded. Grimly, "Stocks are down 17% this quarter compared to our estimates. Still record profits, but not good enough. Unfortunately, that means we're going to have to lower wages and slash benefits."

"If we don't, who will?" He agreed. We shared a small laugh, the tension breaking as I finally settled back into my skin. The anxiety had faded, leaving behind a warm and fuzzy feeling.

"You're my soulmate, huh?" I questioned, leaning my elbows back against the railing. I knew I was going to end up looking out at the lake again if I turned around, and I didn't want to yet. I wanted to see him.

"That's what everyone tells me." he informed me. "Followed by exclaiming that I'm the luckiest guy on earth, they would love to trade places with me, other things along those lines."

"Stop," I said, nudging him. My face felt warm. "Don't flatter me, we're here on business."

"Right." He said, shaking his head. "Sorry. I just wish that we weren't tonight."

He looked at the lake, his jaw set tight. I could see a hundred emotions flickering in his eyes, but his face gave none of them away. It was almost eerie to watch.

"What do we have to do tonight?" I ventured, trying to start the conversation, hoping that I could get something going. "Nobody's really told me much more than lighting a ceremonial fire and dressing like I belong in the Malibu dream house."

"Don't joke like that, you look beautiful." He reassured me. "But yeah, that's most of the festivities. Other than that, we have to waltz. You do remember our first waltz, correct?"