Chapter 16

I tucked my hands under my jacket, the dragon sitting in her little cage between where Clyde and I sat in the boat. Deacon sat across from us, watching our behind. The mouth of the river was wide, and dark. The only source of light seemed to be the lantern at the front of Bethany and Maddie's boat, barely reaching the three of us.

"You know you can take her out of the cage if you want to." Deacon said. The little thing looked up at me, flared her wings, and threw another small ball of fire into the air. "When they do that, they're offering to bond with you. She's not going to run off."

"Bond?" I questioned, reaching down to pick up the cage. I didn't want to leave her in there if I didn't have to.

"You have to give her a name first." Clyde informed me, nodding his head. He gestured towards her. "Then, she's officially yours for good."

"Magical pets are a whole nother breed." Deacon continued.

"Do you have anything picked out?" Clyde asked.

I stared into her little cage, and watched her turn in a circle. She let loose a small fireball, again exploding into the air across from us. She looked up between me and Clyde, and I felt a warmth.

"How about Flicker?" I asked, my hand hesitating on the door handle. She turned towards me sharply, suddenly pushing her head down. She looked up through the bars of the cage, a combination of hopeful, and reserved. She spread her wings wide, and tilted her back up, her front paws coming forward.

"It sounds like she likes it." Clyde said. "Which is important, to a dragon."

"What she's doing now, she's asking you to accept her." Deacon said. "If you open the cage, she'll crawl onto your hand."

I pushed the little lever, and the bars swung open. I held out my hand, turning my palm into a flat resting place. Flicker cheerfully walked out, and curled up across my hand. She was about the size of a teacup.

She raised her head up, and gazed at me with inquisitive eyes.

"Now, for the final touch." Deacon said, his eyes sparkling. "Give her a kiss on the forehead."

I leaned down, and pressed my lips in between her two small horns. She gave an appreciative coo, and the scales heated up beneath my lips.

"That wasn't actually necessary." Deacon informed me, as I pulled back. "It just looked like you wanted to."

I laughed, and Flicker made a delighted noise. She spread her wings and jumped up, and for a split second, I was worried that I was going to lose her.

But she came to land gracefully on my shoulder, digging her tiny claws into my clothes.

"You're right." I agreed. "Thank you."

Flicker affectionately nudged my face.

I switched focus back towards the darkness surrounding us, staying alert for anything that could be a threat.

Having the bow and arrow, I could theoretically neutralize something faster than anyone else in the party.

I had seen Sam messing around with some sort of ninja stars, though.

"Magic won't work out here." Deacon informed me. "So we're going to have to get creative with how we defend ourselves. Once Midnight rolls around, we have to huddle under blankets. From that point on, we'll be safe until the sun comes up."

"...Are the blankets magic?" I asked.

"Nope." He said. "But it's part of the Deerman's agreement with your other half. And if he violates it again, you won't have to do this at all. Both of you got one chance to bend the rules, it was in the contract."