Baki Characters x Struggling! Reader Headcanons

TW: Mentions of self harm, depression, anxiety, eating disorders and mental health issues in general!

Baki & Jack Hanma, Kaoru Hanayama, Biscuit Oliva and Katsumi Orochi.

Baki Hanma

Baki has a lot of scars himself, so he didn't think much of it when he casually asked you what happened to your wrists. You fumble with some explanation you've just now constructed on the spot and he chuckles at your clumsiness that's deduced from your shabby story.

You feel somewhat guilty hiding it from him, especially when you know he'd be most understanding about it. So one day you decide to bring it up. You joke that there's no cool or honorable background to your scars as it is for him. There was no assiduous training or remarkable battle, just you being a pitiful, self-hating coward. Baki looks away to ponder his response and you stare at the ground, flustered and embarrassed for even mentioning it. "I mean... I don't really see the difference. You just happen to fight something different. And you're still here, so you've won plenty of times, haven't you? If you ask me, that's anything but cowardly." Baki turns back to you and extends his fist. "So let's both do our best to defeat our ogre." You smile sheepishly at the promise and bump your own clenched hand into his.

Sometimes he might be slightly upset, because he does care about you and doesn't like to see you hurt. "Jeez", he'll sigh, prepping the bandages. "I thought we were in the clear and you've just moved on to the thighs. Do I have to strip you naked for a daily check, miss? Because I will." He ruffles your hair once he's finished. It's okay, it will get better. He's sure of it.

Jack Hanma

Jack is more observant and can kind of guess that the repetitive pattern occasionally sprouting on your arms isn't exactly from some street fight. He won't bring it up himself, however, because he doesn't want to embarrass you or put you in an awkward spot. Whenever you want to discuss it, he'll be here to listen.

He is also not the type to treat you with pity. Jack is more than familiar with the struggle of self-destructing tendencies and knows that no matter what he'd tell you, no matter how he'd reassure you, it's you that has to accept and believe the words. No one else can convince you of anything. You have to take the bull by the horns yourself, and he'll be waiting outside the ring, ready to congratulate you. And he's rather certain you'll manage, he has an eye for winners and has never been wrong about it.

That being said, if he can interfere in any way, he absolutely will. Having a bad day because of a rude classmate or coworker? He'll pay them a visit and make sure they mind their business next time.

Hanayama Kaoru

Hanayama understands grief and sadness as it has followed him around for most of his life. In fact, you're rather ashamed to confess your misfortunes because it will only highlight your own cowardice in comparison to the tall, young leader that has battled much worse. Look at you, tripping over pitiful nothings and choking in your own sorrow. Though Hanayama himself sees the matter differently. He knows better than anyone that anguish and hopelessness can't be fought in the traditional sense. No matter how strong you are, you'd throw your fists at an empty cloud that continues to thicken around you. There's a different kind of strength required to navigate your way around and he finds your perseverance admirable.

He's always ready to deal with your breakdowns in a calm and assertively guiding way. When your mind becomes erratic and chaotic, Hanayama turns into your pillar of reason and reassurance and you can thread your way out.

If you may ever feel insecure about your scars or damages left behind on your body, he will remind you that whatever you have is your very own "Standing Man", like the tattoo that adorns his back. You should never be ashamed of the fact that you've struggled, because right now you're standing and ready to fight your next challenge, and that's what makes you just like him.

Biscuit Oliva

Oliva is very knowledgeable on many topics and therefore quite well-versed in psychology as well. You always feel like he knows just the right thing to say, and he's so soft spoken that it immediately soothes you. He'll talk you through your fears and ask questions that will send you on a whole introspective journey. You cherish the dialogues you have with him and he's equally grateful for your pleasant company.

When it comes to you he has infinite patience and is always calm. Which is particularly helpful when you're struck with yet another panic attack, creeping its way out of nowhere and viciously clawing at your lungs. He'll place his large hands on your shoulders, guide you to a quiet room and distract you with instructions to help you readjust your breathing. Slowly but surely, your body relaxes and you get back on your feet. The first thing you see is his wide smile as he greets you back. "That was scary, wasn't it? But we managed, once again."

Oliva likes to give you small assignments that he calls the "well-being homework", such as starting the day with a smile in the mirror or giving yourself at least one compliment a day. If you can't figure anything out, he'll be glad to help you.

Kaiou Retsu

Somehow I feel that Retsu would be very supportive if you're dealing with an eating disorder. He'll prepare you a nice, warm meal and tell you that he's trained many people in his life. He knows that one's body can have strange relationships with food sometimes and he reassures you that the both of you will figure out a nice plan to better deal with your struggle.

He's very attentive and can detect a bad mood from a mile. You could be doing cartwheels with the heartiest laugh and he will still ask you what's on your mind. Retsu tries his best to offer proper advice, but he knows that sometimes you just want to vent without having your problems dissected for a solution. He enjoys either sitting next to you or holding you on his lap, because this way he provides you with the privacy of being emotional without the eye contact.

He doesn't like that you harm yourself and will try to suggest healthier alternatives. If that fails, he will gently treat your wounds and encourage you to not be too sad about it. "It's particularly difficult when the opponent you're facing is yourself. Don't be too harsh."

Katsumi Orochi

Now, Katsumi doesn't want to sound like a therapy textbook, but upon hearing about your depression and lack of motivation he can't help but wonder if a little bit of exercise might improve your mood. You're very reluctant to accept his help, because you know you'll never reach his standards. This man is a karate master, you've seen him bark orders and critique at the many underlings during their training. You're a recluse that barely gets out of bed. He'll be frustrated and disappointed and tell you that you're a lost cause.

Yet you couldn't say no to his pleading face. Katsumi turns out to be very kind and supportive when it comes to you. "You only managed to stretch a little today? ONLY stretched?" He pats you on the back vigorously. "Look at you, being all humble and pessimistic. I'll tell you what, just one extra step in your day is already an achievement. Your body will thank you. I bet those rusty bones of yours were glad to feel some movement."

Katsumi becomes your cheerleader that will blow the horn at the smallest completed task. From brushing your teeth to finally eating a proper dinner, or going for a small jog outside your apartment, he'll always let you know just how proud he is of you. Don't worry, some days you might sink back into your misery and that's fine. He'll help you stand back up, patch your wounds and then you can start over again. You can always rely on him to not give up on you.