| vii. TAKE MY HAND, TAKE MY WHOLE LIFE, TOO

vii. TAKE MY HAND,
TAKE MY WHOLE LIFE, TOO

AMOR VINCIT OMNIA
MASTERS OF THE AIR

AMOR VINCIT OMNIAMASTERS OF THE AIR

—————————————-

A DAY LATER, JUNE 30th
THORPE ABBOTTS

COLONEL HARDING'S
HEAD QUARTERS

       | | GETTING CALLED INTO THE COLONEL'S OFFICE AFTER A NIGHT OUT, WAS NEVER GOOD. Especially for Celeste as she was the goody two shoes. It felt akin to facing the principal, only with far more power. Yet, her rather hasty decision last night had brought her to this moment.

The morning started rather abruptly for Celeste with piercing knocks on her door from Rene. But it was not knocks that Celeste heard as her mind played the sounds against her—mimicking them into echoes of bombs..As she tossed and turned, another knock quickly emerged her from the clutches of sleep.

Frankly, the knocks were better opposed to being woken up by Lady Qin's Mandarin—lord, her shouts were ear piercing. Each syllable hit just the right tone to make anyone cover their ears.

Stirring from her sleep, Celeste scrambled to the form of attention—her disheveled hair escaping its confines, nightclothes clung weakly to her frame. Her hand shaking as she tried to keep it at her forehead. Rene merely shook her head at her friend's antics...

Rene's frantic urgency was unmistakable as she threw open the curtains, flooding the room with blinding sunlight. Celeste winced, muttering a curse under her breath.

"Come on... let's get moving," Rene's tone was devoid of its usual vivaciousness. With a heavy sigh, Celeste reluctantly forced herself to the mirror. Her appearance was a stark contrast to the usual composed self.

But Celeste was moving at the pace of snail—slowly gathering her uniform—her mind in jumbles. Impatience radiated from Rene, manifesting in her incessant foot-tapping like a mother mad at her child. "Celeste, hurry up. Egan is waiting outside," she pressed.

The fog of sleep lifted from Celeste's mind, just about dropping the hair pins— events of the previous night crashing down on her like a tidal wave. Memories of harsh words, a sudden punch, the swirling of alcohol, and the unexpected closeness of Egan flooded her mind.

Celeste groggily began weaving her hands throughout her hair, "please tell me that Egan didn't take me home. I don't think I can live with him having another thing to hold over me." she emphasized, the gravity of her words not lost on Rene.