| xiii. JUST A TURKEY RUN

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

xiii. JUST A TURKEY RUN

—MASTERS OF THE AIR AMOR VINCIT OMNIA

MASTERS OF THE AIR
AMOR VINCIT OMNIA

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

THORPE ABBOTTS,
0500 HOURS

         || FEAR HAD ARRIVED AT 5 O CLOCK ON THE DOT. Leaving the hotel, Celeste's mind raced faster than her journey back from London. The military-issued driver had been swift and urgent—leaving her little time to process what she was doing. The driver's stoic silence only added to the tension in the air, punctuated by stolen glances that spoke more than words ever could.

With every passing mile, Celeste could feel the palpitations of her heart—a steady drumbeat underscoring the gravity of the situation. The roar of engine still echoed in Celeste's ears as she stepped out. Arriving at Thorpe Abbotts, she was promptly greeted by the base guard—both exchanging comforting words. Once the all clear was given, the vehicle roared to life and sped off.

Celeste had little time to mentally prepare herself—only able to toss her belongings into her quarters. Before being beckoned to the hut. The brunette could feel her heart pounding as she finally stepped foot into the hall. The atmosphere was electrified with dread—the weight of this mission hanging in the air.

Yet, amidst the weight of duty, it was not solely the prospect of the task at hand that gnawed at Celeste's insides, but the unshakable feeling of leaving someone significant behind—bereft of a proper farewell.

Celeste knew she had too, for Egan would vehemently oppose.. But that didn't stop the internal struggle—the need to leave unspoken words lingering like a bittersweet ache in her chest. As she made her way to her designated seat at the front—Celeste's mind raced with possibilities of how to convey her emotions.