| xviii. RAVENSBRÜCK

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

| xviii. RAVENSBRÜCK

MASTERS OF THE AIR
AMOR VINCIT OMNIA

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

"As much as we glorify telling people exactly how you feel, be tactical with your words

"As much as we glorify telling people exactly how you feel, be tactical with your words. Minds can be scarred, and hearts aren't made of stone. "

———————————————————————

NORTHERN GERMANY
1943

|| OH, BUT DOES DEATH WHISPER A CRUEL LULLABY? ONE THAT ONLY THOSE KEEN TO PAIN HEAR IT? It's a dangerous dance to be in—never knowing when one's last breath may be. And yet there are those chosen for this cause. War... where two love birds sway to the waltz of their own.

The soft glow from the officers hall adds a warmth to the darkness. A Glenn Miller serenade mellows into the background. Where Egan effortlessly twirls Celeste around, her laughter ringing to the chorus. Arnie and Jackson stood beside them, leaning against the bar counter— carrying on with their jokes. Ben, Robert and Frankie were gossiping it with Crosby on the other side.

Arnie made some sly comments, but Celeste didn't listen to him, instead focusing her sights on Egan—that was the only man capturing her sight tonight. He drew her closer, hand falling down her waist. The voices and music seemed to fade away, leaving only the two of them.

Celeste closed her eyes, a soft hum escaping her lips—readying doe their lips to meet. Yet as they were too, a sudden groan disrupted this moment. Along with it came a shaking, a tremble, a mixture of metal against metal rippling through the false walls—-shattering this fragile world.

Green eyes quickly snapped open—focusing on the discolored fabric above. It danced freely along with the wind. It all came back, Oh how she longed to be free.. Celeste let out a small gasp—her lungs fighting to regain composure.

Blinking the last traces of haziness, the realization hit like a ton of bricks. The dance, the music, Egan - it was all a figment of her imagination, a cruel trick played by her own mind. Even Arnie and Jackson...

Frankly, it didn't stop her mind from racing, with the main goal at trying to make sense of where she was. Where everyone was? The memories of the night before came flooding back like a dagger being driven into her heart.

It took her back to the streets in Nanking in 1937, where she was on trip to see some Ming Dynasty ruins. But instead, Celeste was met with the overwhelming hostility of the invading Japanese—though at that time, they didn't pay her attention as the US was neutral.