| viii. WHERE'S MY SMILE | OPERATION HUSKY

viii. WHERE'S MY SMILE |
OPERATION HUSKY

MASTERS OF THE AIR
AMOR VINCIT OMNIA

                   ▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

THORPE ABBOTTS
CONTINUED....

         "HA!" A VOICE SUFFUSED WITH TRIUMPH RANG AMONGST THE DISTANCE BOMBS. Unlike the others who claimed not to hear it, she did and was determined to get it. Since Celeste stood still, even with the distance bombs, she pinpointed the origin. The brunette swiftly honed in on the area surrounded by pellets.

Whatever the unseen animal was frankly did not want to be found. Engaging in a covert game of hide-and-seek that elicited subtle ow's and involuntary winces from Celeste. But she was not one to back down, dropping to all fours like a skilled tracker—honing in on her target like a hunting dog on a scent.

Meanwhile, Egan was watching the whole thing unfold like a movie. He felt his thoughts wandering into forbidden territories, his mind spiraling into a realm of emotions he had not foreseen. In a feeble attempt to distract himself, he nervously gnawed on his thumbnail—-desperately trying to wean away from the unexpected arousal coursing through him.

His eyes remained fixed on Celeste, seemingly unaware of the world around him, until Cleven's voice reached him like distant echoes at the bottom of a murky sea.

Upon noting Egan's unresponsiveness amidst his remarks, Cleven shot a concerned glance— before nudging him firmly with a kick. "I told you already, about getting too deep with her."

Egan, shaken from his daze, met Cleven's gaze with a mischievous look. "Well, you know me..."

"I'm afraid I do..." A knowing look passing between them before his attention turned back to the sky. If one overlooked the chaos of bombs and the mournful wail of air raid sirens, it was quite beautiful—a juxtaposition of destruction and beauty. Shades of black and purple lining the sky while hues of yellow found themselves interspersed, creating a hauntingly mesmerizing sight.

"So What's the move, then?" Egan inquired, his mustache twitching slightly.

"Are you referring to her or the mission?" Cleven quipped, a  smirk dancing on his lips. Egan merely scoffed, flicking his wrist dismissively.

"We must lead our boys through it," Cleven then casted a wary glance towards the lurking darkness that enveloped them. Before observing Egan's gaze lingering on Celeste once more.

It was no secret that Egan had shied away from commitment, always opting for fleeting dalliances that left him yearning for something more substantial. His heart burdened by the remnants of past choices, laying heavy on his conscience.

"Oh, no you don't!" Celeste's tone suddenly commandeered the conversation, grasping attention without missing a beat.
With a graceful yet decisive movement, she readied herself once more. A gleam of determination shone in her eyes, letting out one final grunt before deftly seizing the elusive culprit.

Triumphantly declaring, "Got you, you cheeky little thing!"

A hushed silence fell over the group as Celeste slowly backed herself out of the thicket of pellets—a victorious gleam in her eyes. Moonlight filtered through the branches, casting a soft glow that illuminated her prize - a small ball of fur clutched by the nape of its neck.