| ix. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL, BUT I WANNA TRY

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

ix. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL,
BUT I WANNA TRY

PART ONE

MASTERS OF THE AIR
AMOR VINCIT OMNIA

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

THORPE ABBOTTS
JULY 16, 1943

0700 HOURS

|| IN JUST A MONTH, CELESTE'S WORLD CRUMBLED— LOSING A FRIEND WAS NOT ON HER CHECKLIST. Frankie, who had been by her side through thick and thin, through the trails of China and Japan, was now on his way back to America. He was not longed for this world—his death leaving a void in her crew. Even after losing others on their team, this shattered her in ways she never thought possible.

In the days following his death, Celeste felt more isolated than ever—withdrawing into herself, barely going to the bar or mess hall. Not even engaging with Rene, whom tried to get her out. Staying in her room, doodling away at the ancient maps she made —only coming out when called.

Celeste did her best to avoid Egan like a ghost haunting her every step. Not only that but the ghostly touch of Egan's lips lingered on hers—sending a jolt of confusion through her every time she closed her eyes. Her friend had just died and there she was smooching up the major... jeez Louis, what was wrong with her?

She just couldn't bring herself to face Egan—this major had stirred a long-buried ache within her. A reminder of a love she had once lost. How cruel fate seemed, to have Egan, the source of this newfound turmoil, by her side now.

"Why is this happening?" Celeste whispered in the empty body of the C-47—a question that echoed off the walls as though seeking an answer. Wrestling her own mind, Celeste couldn't help but wonder if Egan sensed the feelings she was wading through. Did he understand the silent turmoil that his kiss had ignited?

Everyday since, Celeste dodged his presence, sidestepping his attempts to coincide at the mess hall or him appearing unexpectedly when she was looking over the planes with Lemmons. She found inventive ways to skirt around him, to keep her distance.

The real war was still raging on, but within Celeste, one between the ghosts of yesterday and the whispered hopes of tomorrow took hold. Even when a flicker of something akin to desire—ignited between them.

Celeste's gaze shifted towards her flight bag and gear, a subtle tightening in her chest. She wanted to say goodbye, truly she did—there was no denying the quickening of her heartbeat whenever his eyes met hers. Or the inexplicable warmth that enveloped her every time he graced her with a smile.

But she made the decision to escape Thorpe Abbotts, for another mission akin to Operation Husky, to take revenge. But no matter how fervently she pleaded with her father, his response was unwavering. Instead of acquiescing to her requests, he forwarded her orders to Greenland.

This was far from ideal in Celeste's eyes, as it meant she would have to navigate the sea of misogynistic lieutenants at the post. Ones that had gotten on her about her dirtied trousers. Damn Egan ...

Faced with the choice of either flying B-17s or confronting Egan daily following their shared kiss, Celeste weighed her options. Like any rational person, she opted to ferry the B-17s from Greenland to Thorpe Abbotts—knowing that it would entail her absence for an entire month.