10. Two Worlds Apart

✭I played dumb, but I always knew✭

always knew✭

I wake to sunbeams on my face and it's only then do I realize that, this isn't my room.

I'm not in my bunk, I'm not in any bunk. I'm on what looks like two beds pushed together. I look around the room trying to crack the mystery of whose room this is.

"You're safe. Don't worry." that voice, Samira's voice. Again, I look around for her but I don't find her until she reveals herself.

My eyes involuntarily scan her body. This is the most 'normal' I've seen her dress since being here. She wears a thin strapped t-shirt and shirts.

"Where am I?" I ask but I already know the answer. What I don't know is why

"My room." she walks the small distance to sit next to me on her bed. "It's not safe to be out in the halls alone. Especially at night." so, she went back for me then?

How else would she have found me? I didn't even realize the moment I went to sleep. I was just going to wait until whoever was in that room finished but I guess, the night had other plans.

She looks like she has more she wants to say. She fidgets with her hands, her gaze in her lap.

"I–" she glances up at me not long enough for me to tell what she's thinking and then utters her next few words. "I'm sorry I left last night. I just, I've never been good at talking about things that deep. I haven't talked to enough people to learn how to respond to what you said."

She pauses but this time, she turns her entire body toward me and locks eyes with me. "And I understand that you don't have a place to call home, but it's better than calling this place a home."

I know what she's doing. She's still trying to get me to leave. I speak my mind, what I've been wanting to tell her since the first time she told me I don't belong.

"I'm not going anywhere." and I mean it. Especially now that she's apologized even when she didn't need to. I would've been fine with chasing after her until she talked to me again but now that she has, I feel like we've made at least an ounce of progress.

She huffs a small laugh. "Stubborn." She looks out of the small window that seems to be set on casting its bright shadow on my face.

I can't help but seize the moment and use it for my own selfish pleasures. She's beautiful. I've always known this but when she's calm, she takes my breath away.

I can't believe she's real.

"Why are you so cut off from everyone? Why are you so alone in this world?" she looks at me once again but something has changed.

She looks guarded again.

"My freedom, my humanity? It died with my parents." then I remembered what Frankie and Em told me. Her parents died.