13. Theif

✭It's really nice to talk to you✭

talk to you✭

I wake with a start, noticing the cold and empty sheets next to me.

I look around only to find her on the ground, her head laid back on the wall and her legs to her chest just like they have been every morning I've decided to wake up in her room.

It's been a few weeks since we decided to see each other under wraps. Behind closed doors. Under the noses of everyone around us.

It's not like we've been doing anything – though I wouldn't mind it – other than getting to know each other.

I talk and she listens and the other way around although I do the talking most of the time but when she does talk, it's like nothing else matters. Everything she says sticks to my brain like wood glue.

But then it changed only a few days ago. We haven't really talked. I still come to her room but we haven't talked much. I came over one night and it was like she couldn't even hear the words I said.

Like I was never there.

"Mira?!" I call, dropping to my knees on the floor and crawling over to where she sits.

She doesn't say anything or make a move that lets meet know she knows I'm here. I have no idea what happened to make her so dead inside.

That's how I feel she's acting anyway. Like her soul has vacated her body, leaving it to fend for itself and keep itself alive.

"Hey, Samira?" I snap my fingers trying to snap her out of whatever trance she's in.

Looking up at the single window above us, I notice the stars and moon still shining brightly.

"Food," I whisper to myself. "She needs food. I'll be right back okay? Don't move." I stand to my feet as if she would move when she hasn't wanted to in days.

She's stuck, so much so that I've had to bring her pieces of my meals from the eatery. I've been staying with her and I'm sure the people I bunk with are starting to get suspicious as to where I'm sleeping at night.

I step out of her room and instantly pull myself flat against the wall, blending with the dark shadows so no one can see me.

It's far past curfew and I'd be in trouble if I were to get caught breaking it.

"Up she goes," I whisper, dragging myself along the wall. The halls are clear and no one walks them. I'd be fine walking normally but I've learned in a place like this, to expect the unexpected. "Up she goes."