14. A Quiet Place

✭Its always you✭

✭Its always you✭

I glance behind me, the halls are completely dark and each room is quiet. It's half past three and the circus is dead.

Silent.

Something people on the outside may believe never happens in a circus.

I turn back around once I'm sure nobody is following me but I don't get too far as I bump into something.

Or someone.

"What the fu—" I stop myself from cursing when I realize who it is. I roll my eyes and grab his hand, pulling him behind me and into a corner nearby.

"Sorry," he mumbles in the dark, I can't see anything. The darkness engulfs absolutely everything in its wake making it hard to see his expression but from his tone, I'd say he looks apologetic.

I shake my head even though I know he can't see a thing. "It's okay. So, this is the office. What now?" I'm not used to following others' orders unless it is life or death which, only really happens with Zai and Kai.

He shuffles and walks around me, presumably to the door on the other side of the wall. I follow him and he picks the lock with a small blade.

Where did he get that?

I push my thoughts deep down silently hoping that it doesn't belong to me. Seconds later he swings the door open and steps aside so I can walk in. He shuts it behind him and turns on a dim lamp on the desk.

I finally get a good look at him. He looks nervous. His hair is stuck to his forehead and he plays with his fingers anxiously.

I walk closer, only leaving a few inches of space between us. I ignore the pull my heart has toward his half wondering if his does the same.

"If you don't want to do this we don't have to, okay? You can come back to my room and figure out something else." I nod, ensuring him that it's completely fine if he chooses to ditch this last-minute plan.

I'm terrified and I should be used to it for how long I've been here. I can't begin to even imagine how scared he is to even have stepped foot in here without permission.

Countering my words, he shakes his head and whispers, so lowly that I'm not even sure he said anything at all.

"I-It's not that." he looks down at his feet, stuffing his cold hands in his pockets. He inhales and exhales like he's trying to build up the confidence to say something.