Chapter 6

Carolina's phone vibrated, interrupting the heavy silence in Ms. Evelyn's office. She glanced at the screen, eyebrows furrowing at the unfamiliar number flashing before her eyes. With a racing heart, she answered the call, a mix of curiosity and caution washing over her.

Carolina: Hello?

Carolina's voice trembled slightly, betraying her inner turmoil. A voice, distorted and unfamiliar, crackled through the line.

???: Carolina, it's time to uncover the truth.

Her breath caught in her throat, her grip on the phone tightening.

Carolina: Who is this? How do you know about my past?

The voice chucked, sending a shiver down Carolina's spine.

???: All will be revealed soon. Meet me at Raven-stone Manor tonight at midnight. Don't come alone.

Before Carolina could ask more questions, the line went dead, leaving her with an unsettling mixture of fear and anticipation. Carolina exchanged a nervous glance with Lily, who watch's her intently, concern etched on her face.

Carolina: We have to go Lily.

Carolina said determinedly, her voice quivering with a newfound resolve. Lily nodded, her eyes reflecting a mix of worry and determination.

Lily: I'll be by your side, Carolina. We'll face whatever awaits us together.

As the day turned into night, Carolina's mind buzzed with anticipation. She tried to distract herself, engaging in casual conversation with Lily, but her thoughts kept drifting back to the mysterious call. Who was the unknown caller, and why did they want to help her uncover the truth about her fractured life?

The clock struck eleven, Carolina and Lily left Lily's house making their way towards Ravenstone Manor. As they neared the secluded location, darkness cloaking the surroundings, their footsteps faltered, nerves winding tight within them.

The manor loomed ahead, its once grand facade now a haunting silhouette against the moonlit sky. Carolina's heart pounded in her chest as she stepped forward, each footfall echoing through the eerie stillness. The towering doors creeped open, revealing a dimly lit hallway bathed in shadows. Carolina and Lily shared a determined glance, their bond stronger than ever in the face of the unknown. They stepped inside, uncertainty mingling with their courageous spirits.

As they ventured deeper into the manor, whispers echoed and cold drafts brushed against their skin. Carolina's pulse quickened, her instincts urging her forward. She couldn't ignore this chance to uncover the truth about her fragmented life.

Finally, they reached a room cloaked in darkness. A single beam of moonlight streamed through a cracked window, casting an ethereal glow on a figure standing by a dusty bookshelf. Carolina's breath hitched as the figure turned, revealing a face she never expected to see.

Carolina: Mother?

Carolina whispered, disbelief coloring her voice.