Chapter 48

As the procedure continued, Carolina's screams echoed off the chamber walls, each cry filled with pain and desperation. Her body convulsed as the ancient artifact pulsed with energy, threatening to consume her. Dr. Isabella watched with a cold gaze, her expression unreadable as she monitored the ritual's progress.

But then, as if a switch had been flipped, Dr. Isabella abruptly powered down the artifact. The chamber fell into an eerie silence, broken only by Carolina's ragged breaths. Slowly, Dr. Isabella made her way to the young girl strapped to the table. With practiced hands, she undid the restraints and helped the girl sit up, her movements surprisingly gentle.

Dr. Isabella: How are you feeling? Is anything different?

Dr. Isabella asked, her voice softer than Carolina had ever heard it. The girl blinked, her eyes wide with wonder as she took in her surroundings. She shook her head slowly, a small smile playing on her lips.

Carolina watched in confusion, her body still trembling from the residual effects of the ritual. What had just happened? And why was Dr. Isabella suddenly showing kindness to the very girl she had intended to exploit?

As questions swirled in Carolina's mind, she knew one thing for certain - the mysteries surrounding the Guardians, the artifacts, and her own fractured life were far from over. The battle ahead was far from won.

Carolina stared in disbelief as the young girl, whose name was revealed to be Celeste, effortlessly levitated a small object in the air with a focused gaze. Her eyes widened with shock as she witnessed the extent of Celeste's newly awakened abilities. It was clear that there was more to Celeste than met the eye.

Dr. Isabella watched in astonishment, her expression a mixture of pride and excitement. The procedure had worked beyond her wildest expectations, and she was already formulating plans to delve deeper into unlocking Celeste's untapped potential. Carolina felt a shiver run down her spine as she realized the danger of allowing Dr. Isabella to continue her experiments unchecked.

As Carolina observed Celeste, a sudden realization struck her - there was another presence within Celeste, a second consciousness that seemed to lurk just beneath the surface. Celeste herself seemed unaware of this secondary person residing within her, and Carolina knew that uncovering the truth behind this mysterious entity was crucial in unraveling the secrets of the Guardians and their dark rituals.

With a deep breath, Carolina made up her mind to protect Celeste at all costs and to uncover the truth behind the dual personas residing within her. The stakes were higher than ever, and the shadows of Crestwood High School held more mysteries than Carolina ever could have imagined. The battle was far from over, and Carolina was determined to see it through to the end.