3 A Favor For a Favor

"Hazel, can I see you in my office?" My manager, Lisa, gives me a fake smile.

She hates me. I don't know why.

"Yes?" I sit in the designated employee chair across from her royal desk. Even our chair levels are different to make me feel inferior.

"I asked HR to be here for this meeting..." She points at poker-faced Claudia beside her.

My heart drops.

Please, please, please don't fire me.

"Okay," I say with a smile. "W-what's going on?"

"Well, we've noticed that you're different lately." Lisa folds her hands and tilts her head. I think it's supposed to resemble concern. "Your clothes are wrinkled and...repetitive. As a teller, you are the first face that customers see when they walk in. But lately...it seems like you don't care about how you...present yourself."

To be fair, she has a point. It's been a challenge to sleep in the car. I'm scared throughout the night that someone will attack me. Even though I try to park in 'safe' areas, it's never truly safe.

Not to mention, I don't have an iron. So I shower with my clothes hanging near the steam and try to unwrinkle as much as possible, but it still looks messy.

"I'm sorry...I've been dealing with some personal matters," I say, fidgeting with my fingers.

"Oh." Her brows knit together. "Is there anything we can do to help?"

If she finds out how unstable my living situation is, I'll be at risk of losing my job. No one cares what I'm going through. Especially in business.

"No, I'm okay." I keep a strong composure. "I'll make sure that my appearance looks better and that I'm presenting the company in the best light possible. I apologize for not meeting the standards lately."

"Oh, it's totally fine! No worries..." She glances at Claudia. "I just wanted to chat before the annual performance reviews."

Performance reviews. That's right. It's supposed to be in three weeks. Maybe I need to consider quitting college. I might not have a choice.

The next morning, when I park a street away from Hayden's house, one of his neighbors notices me.

He gives me a strange look, maybe realizing that I look out of place or that I'm leaving my car so far from the house that I'm going to.

I hope he doesn't follow me and tell Hayden.

I text Hayden that I'm early. When he doesn't respond, I see the neighbor down the street and out of fear, I slip into Hayden's backyard.

I already know his dog is behind a separate gate. It's a large cage-

Holy crap.

That's not a dog.

That's a freaking horse.

It looks like it could eat me for breakfast.

A square, massive head. A muscular chest. Serious eyes that track my every move as I approach it.

"Hey, buddy..." I coo.

It barks and I jump in fear.

"G-good morning to you too, cutie. I'm not a threat, I promise."

It growls, but it sounds more like a grumble.

"You agree, don't you? There's no need to plot my murder. You're a nice fella, aren't you?" I switch into a baby voice, because how can you not? It's a dog. Dogs are the best. "Aren't you a good boy? Protecting your house? Huh? Aren't you? Aren't you? Aren't youuu?"