19 Bleeding Arm

"Are you okay?" Hayden asks on our drive back to his house. The orange and pink sky is soaking the horizon of mountains, the road, my skin. 

"I'm sorry." I lean my head against the window.

"What for?"

"For getting so emotional."

"He should be the one apologizing. He shouldn't have asked you questions like that."

"I think it's normal for older generations. They don't see anything wrong with it."

"I know." His voice laces with irritation, but not towards me. 

"I was supposed to go with you to help, not break your mom's heart."

"She's just ashamed that her husband disrespected you. You didn't break her heart."

I guess he's right, but still. I stare at my intertwined hands on my lap. 

"Did something happen?" 

"My mom texted. That's why I was alone."

"Is everything okay?"

I shrug, feeling numb and disconnected. "Same bullshit. They want my car."

"What'd you tell her?"

I shake my head. "You're done talking to your dad. I'm done talking to my mom. We finally have something in common."

Harry calls him five minutes later, asking us if we want to go over for dinner. Edwin made lasagna. We hang out with them for a couple of hours, and get home in time to feed Milo. I spend a little extra time with him, petting his head and accepting his kisses. 

When I go back in, Hayden tracks my movements with concerned silence, but doesn't push me to talk. Nothing happens until around midnight.

I'm asleep when the sound of shattering glass jolts me awake. 

Milo starts barking, shaking his gate. By the time I open my door,  Hayden bursts out of his bedroom, wearing low-rise and knee-length shorts.

"Stay where you are," he says without a glance. Then without hesitation, unlocks the front door.

My heart is beating wildly, but I follow him just in case I can help. He checks his surroundings left and right. Milo continues to growl, anxious and livid. That's when I notice...

Someone broke my car windows.

Sergio?

Are you kidding me?

Who else would've done this? It has to be him. I...I don't know if I should laugh or be terrified.

Hayden's neck snaps toward the street. He must've heard something that I didn't. One moment, he's standing still. Next he yanks his car door open and jumps in.

"Stay inside!" He yells at me. I don't get to utter a syllable before he speeds off.

"Oh my God..." This can't be happening. I run toward my phone and dial Harry. 

He answers right away. I explain (barely) what's going on, my voice shaking. Milo is going crazy in the backyard. 

Thank God, Harry remains calm. He asks me questions and reminds me to breathe. I let Milo in the house, while Harry calls Hayden. But Hayden doesn't pick up. He doesn't answer me either.

Should I call the cops? Harry tells me to wait. This is crazy.

I wait for an hour. It makes me lose my hair. By the time the front door unlocks and Hayden walks in, I'm about to pass out from restlessness.