5 Nice To Meet You, Ex

The drive to the bar is silent and awkward.

I refuse to speak first, and I guess Hayden lacks the intelligence to think of something to say.

"Ready?" he asks, pulling into the valet section.

"No, please hold my hand. I'm scared." I roll my eyes.

He snaps when I reach to open my car door. "Stay."

"Excuse-"

He slams his door so hard, I flinch. Then I watch in shock as he moves around to open mine.

"You are so rude and chivalrous. It's confusing." I hiss at his face, well, his chest when I stand up.

He puts his hand on my low back, thumb brushing my exposed skin, and nudges me through the lobby doors. Like a bodyguard. A bodyguard that I would do unholy things with.

It's just an act. Just an act. We're putting on a show.

He clicks the elevator button that's supposed to take us to the bar on the roof. We're the only ones in it as the doors close, trapping us within the mirrored walls.

"How long were you two together?" I ask.

"I don't know, five months."

"Who initiated the breakup?"

"I did." He grumbles, guiding me out as the doors open.

Good answer. It means he has a backbone. Self-respect. He mentioned that she didn't cheat, but she was using him. Is that why he's so hot and cold? Does he have trust issues?

"Have you had a lot of girlfriends?" I ask as he leads me through the crowd. Loud music. Laughter. String lights hang like a canopy, along with electric heaters. Everyone is dressed nicely.

"No, not really."

"Why? Did starting a business take up a lot of your time?"

"You couldn't ask these questions when we were in the car?" His tone is a warning.

Unfortunately, we've reached a group of people in a booth who are staring at Hayden and me with startled expressions.

The friend group, huh?

"You asshole, you said you'd be here by now." A bald, short man with the kindest eyes hugs him. He's wearing a lavender button-down, has a beer belly, and something about him is immediately loveable.

"Thank God, we've been dying here." A taller, leaner man stands beside him. He gives me a young, cool uncle vibes. Someone who is not afraid to bend the rules and get in trouble.

"Where's the birthday boy?" Hayden looks around, nodding at the rest of the group. I guess they're not as important.

"He went downstairs to get Astrid." The bald one lights up as he looks at me. "Hi, I'm Harry. I'm Hayden's best friend."

"Are you?" I shake his hand, smiling back. "But you're so nice. Did he bribe you too?"

"What can I say? I like free stuff."

Hayden's lips curve at the corners, making it feel safe enough to laugh without being rude.

"We've been friends since high school." He explains, then gestures at the tall man. "This is Edwin, his fiance. They're getting married in two months."

"Congratulations." I smile, shaking his hand. "Hayden's been crying about how you're stealing his best friend."

"I know." Harry shrugs. "He needs to get a hobby. He's too obsessed. I have a life, you know."