8 Hiking

"Three weeks?" Dania's wide eyes fill with tears. "You've been sleeping in your car for three weeks? W-Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't know how! I'm sorry. I knew you'd want me to stay here...I didn't want to burden you. You've got so much on your plate with-"

"What-you're my best friend, Hazel! Are you serious right now? How can you ever think that you'd be a burden to me?"

"I'm sorry-"

"Whatever." Her shoulders slump. She shakes her head. "I have to go to the other room and grab you a couple of things. Be right back."

Guilt makes me want to jump out the window and crawl back into my car.

After she leaves me in her bedroom, my phone vibrates. Guess who is bothering me?

Hayden: Do you have any past evidence of him harassing you besides these two times?

Hazel: No, Mr Detective. Evidence? None. Memories? Plenty.

Besides, I already changed my mind about filing a restraining order. It won't work.

Not only do I not have a single piece of evidence, but I would have to stand before a judge and drag Sergio with me.

It's a long process that I don't have the time or energy for. Not now. Not ever.

Hayden: Might be hard to get it without proof

Hazel: You can just say it's impossible, I already know

Hayden: Can you live with your friend for a while?

Why does he care? He's starting to annoy me.

Hazel: I'm not going to use her as a shield. My problems are mine.

Hayden: Friends are supposed to be there for each other. You'd do it for her. Wouldn't you?

Hazel: If I could, I would. But Dania is in med school. She doesn't have a job. Her parents take care of her. She's not going to move out.

Hayden: Can you stay with them for a while?

Hazel: I don't know, Hayden. I don't want to talk about this. I'll figure it out later

Dania brings me a spare pillow and clean pajamas. I take a shower. When I go back to her room, she has the night lights on in the dark and is flipping through Netflix in bed.

"Well, I guess we're back in high school, having one of our sleepovers," I say to ease the awkward silence.

She doesn't respond.

I slip under the crisp and cool sheets. The moment my spine rests on the mattress, I let out an involuntary groan in relief.

Dania tenses, realizing why.

"Sorry," I mumble.

She grips the remote control harder.

"I love you," I say.

"I love you too."

"How much do you love me?"

"Not that much."

I chuckle and tickle the spot under her chin, using a baby voice to annoy her. "I bet you're happy to cuddle with me, aren't you? Aren't youuu?"

"No."

"Just don't fart up a storm again, okay?"

"I don't fart!" She laughs. Yes, I win.

"Please. You're the queen of silent farts. My lungs are permanently damaged because of you."