4 C 1

It's been over a week since I've been dumped in this remote nook and today I've found out there would be a supply run organised into the nearest city. This would save me a lot of walking. Hobbling, really – I was much better, but still on a crutch. However, as nice and peaceful this place seemed, I was on borrowed time. I did not know when the demon would amble back in nor what his nefarious plans for me would be. I wanted nothing to do with best of anyone's unwelcome intentions - and the creature's mere presence froze blood straight in my veins.

After observing which car they were loading with goods to trade – it unsurprisingly turned out to be van - I limped in and hid under the stacks. Might have been a mistake. The produce was heavy and the road - long and bumpy.

As they began unloading the sacks, I heard monotonous voice say, "If you want to leave, leave. Nobody was stopping you."

Didn't as much as flinch. This had to be a trick. I was too far back for anyone to have seen me yet. Another heavy bag was hefted out and steps receded into distance. Voices spoke some ways away. I risked glancing out the wide open doors. There were multiple buildings outside.

"I know you're there," heard Priest's dispassionate voice again, right before he showed up from behind the corner to handle another sack without as much as glancing up at me. He didn't care.

Fine. Fuck's sake.

I carefully climbed out and crossed my arms. Should I say anything? Or just shamble away as fast as I could whilst I could?

Another mean looking guy from Priest's posse was supervising unloading with a rifle. City guards took no chances either. As relaxed as Priest appeared, exchange of high valued goods sported a chance to go iffy at any time. Hungry denizens, exiled bandits, militia ordered to appropriate the food for common good – you name it, it's happened.

"Take care," utterly disinterested man bid me farewell. I turned towards speaker and a pear flew at my chest. "I'll pass the goodbye to the kid from you," he added to get me moving, but making me feel like crap had the opposite effect.

"Wait," I called out to him and the man stopped, staring at me with those expressionless eyes. I've never gotten a chance to talk to this person again, but this I really burned to know, "Can you die? If you wanted to."

His stare bore into my soul for subjective twenty minutes and an objective several seconds. So I suppose I had no right to ask or know. If I could I would have taken the words back. Priest's lips thinned but eventually he said, "Anything can die."

"Had he..." How does one ask a potential victim of unimaginable suffering if he'd been through it? By now it was easy to assume words the monster had uttered weren't idle threats. Dismissed that inquiry. "Will you be in trouble for letting me go?"

Priest shook his head, "There were no other instructions."

I exhaled pure confusion. At least it sounded like I was never in any supernatural trouble. The otherworldly thing just helped me, out of goodness of his heart. Yeah, unlikely. Great time to bolt.

I shambled closer in while grinning to pat disgruntled person on the side and said, "Well, anyway. Thank you!"

I turned away to check the haul in my fist. A hardcandy and car key. This will not be of use. "Hey, you," I called back and when the detached man looked over his shoulder, I lobbed the key his way and hobbled off as though I stood actual chance of running away. However, odds were in my favour. Nobody wanted altercations under so many hollow eyes of riffles.

Neither my theft nor the abduction of my very much looked for crutch went unmentioned. The immobilising splints couldn't have been cheap either, on top of the medicine. Nothing rotted off, although I was sure some wounds were well on their way there. Perhaps I could obtain some valuables and pass them along later? Clearly devil worshippers come by here to trade every now and then.