8 V 3

I exhaled deeply and plopped down on my ass. A mistake. The air was cool, but it had nothing on the stone. Too late now. Didn't have anywhere else to go anyway, and there was this mini-altar here. Held my fingers by the two candle sleeves and lit up my own sticks as well. The gentle breeze kept threatening to blow them out and it took good chunk of my time to position them just right.

Crossed my legs and started weaving flowers together. Didn't want to go to Almoner's today. Paranoia told me I would be expected by the mob. Probably not and I could sneak away even if so, but just didn't feel like encountering a problem. Hoped the kid got away scot-free, but if he hadn't it was either too late now or I would be powerless to help anyway. Either way, I didn't want to know. The less I was aware of the less I needed to deal with.

I told myself they all just forgot my aggravating shenanigans and went to sleep. It was early, even if already dark, but still. Probably enough time to cool their heads. Sleeping outside in the cold just wasn't all that terribly unusual to me. And if the monster decided to wander off and never come back I'd know first-hand. By the time I finished ruining the beautiful tulips most of my worries were either sorted or half-forgotten.

I was entirely too much at peace for almost whole minute when universe decided to right itself.

"What a beautiful smile you got there," match struck behind me as someone came out for a smoke. I heard the voice somewhere very recently.

"Did you come to worship at the altar, too? Come, sit. Give me your bountiful offerings to twine into a works of art," I showed off my garland and snuck a peak. He shaved, and perhaps even washed, but it was undoubtedly the bore from earlier in the day. Props for that. Nobody could fault a man trying to better himself.

"Ye, I'll give you something to worship," he grabbed my slightly overgrown hair and stood over me, savouring the power. I grinned wider. Even when I was doing my utmost to avoid problems, they'd still find me. This had to be some kind of superpower.

I kept smiling like a fool and caressed the calves. He accepted the gesture eagerly and the grip on my hair eased. This could end quickly with a simple blowjob but I was in foul mood. Stealthily I reached for candles behind him. The idiot didn't notice or suspect a thing over his massive ego and a fucking tiny dick. The loose sweatpants caught fire and silently crept upwards. It didn't burn quite as well as I hoped, nothing like the flames of the mansion. The cloth mostly just melted. I sighed resignedly. Whatever, it wasn't like I was trying to torch the man.

The guy eventually figured out back of his legs were smoking and started trying to shake me off. I kept the candles in my hands, cackling in response to the blows to the head. It truly was all too funny for some cursed reason. My lean, aerodynamic physique was no match for the brute strength and he kicked me off far too soon. I'd done no damage and now I'll lose my teeth. Again. Typical. There were one or two curious people who popped up but nobody was going to risk their hide for an egregious outsider.

His pants were ruined and still scalding so my unwanted suitor ripped them off, going straight towards me – but perhaps with different intentions now, if the flappy wiener was of any indication. I was both – still giggling and too disoriented to make it on my feet in time and bail. He grabbed me by the neck and I could not laugh anymore.

"You fucking slut," he cursed. "You tempt me and then do this?! Stop fucking laughing!"

Apologies never worked anyway. I mean, they softened the blow, but at a certain point in the rain you just didn't get any more drenched. And I felt like I was about to overflow all the damn time. I guess this was it.

He shook me, and shook some more but then it stopped mid-motion and his hands let go. I cracked my head on the rocks. It hurt, but I kept my whining in in the presence of that other, visceral agony. Animalistic screech that reached somewhere beyond comprehensive thoughts and communicated to the animal inside. One that made blood run cold and not dare look. The howls of the damned in the deepest pit of hell. The shrieks of people caught out outside the walls in the night. The terrible pitch that sang of purest pain. Sounds which never dulled no matter how many times I've heard them.