11 B 2

The other morning I was groggy beyond belief but was thankful for that brief reprieve which attempted to shield me from harsh reality. I turned over on my side and wailed, then screamed, still unaware why. My body was raising all alarms and it prompted my mouth to do the same. I attempted to get up and faceplanted back into the metal ground. I tried and tried but just kept squirming. I could not get up.

I woke up without an arm. It just up and disappeared whilst I slept.

No, not sleep. This level of sluggishness came from drugs. I curled up onto myself on the good side and stared at the gleaming eyes beyond the glass. The assholes didn't even bother to bandage it up. Why would they, with monsters?

Something massive was thrashing again. Were the other creatures tireless just like the one I had known? Even if they could heal themselves and not feel pain, I didn't think they were having fun up here regardless. So why was I feeling especially miserable about my sorry ass?

The shutter behind the window dropped down and room I was in started moving. I groaned pitifully, not having energy to do much else. There was some small chance that they dissected my limb and found that I was fully human after all.

Was this sliding towards incineration? That... wouldn't be so bad actually. I missed warmth. Jumping into a pyre was high on my list these past few days, as cold was so deep inside my bones by now I hardly felt it if not for uncontrollable shivers.

One of the walls fell aside and there was bigger space behind it. I raised my head to look, but that was it. Too lazy to brave it. Would I get electrocuted again? Probably, but until then I was not going anywhere. Maybe my heart could give out on one of those. Maybe I should just dig my nails into the stinging shoulder and open up the artery. Skin around it was so tender. I did not want to feel any more pain.

My eyes fell onto another new thing. There was slab of greenish monster meat nearby. Food? But it was all raw. However, besides that, I had no idea what else it could be for. They treated me completely like an animal, then. Chances were it was poisonous too. Touched it and my remaining fingers did not fall off, melt or rot away immediately. But it was warm. Did some other creature get my arm then?

I bit off small piece with some effort and it stung. Unluckily, that was it. I did not drop dead. Eating any more of it was not appealing. It did not smell or the taste edible. Perhaps I wasn't starving yet, though I can't recall a time when I'd eaten raw monster meat even as an unwanted orphan.

Hacking noise startled me. I looked at the newly opened room but it was still empty. And yet, something undoubtedly was there. For long minutes I waited but nothing happened. I was well aware it was another cage for a trapped monstrosity. It was either invisible, or... Sound came from the obstructed ceiling. Ha. Knew it. I guess I'll at least die smug. Laid down and closed my eyes. Must have passed out because next time I awakened was when the cage was en route back.

Shortly after, I received delegation which had even more questions to ask. I had too big of a headache to be a smartass, so my ignorance was rewarded with more pain. Sometime later airtight chamber doubled as test tube for tolerance of pressure and strange gasses. I didn't fare so well there either. I passed out. Then met some more monsters which sat on the ground and chirped woefully. I groaned at them in solidarity. They didn't deem it worthwhile to kill me either. Pity.

When the chamber was wheeled back, lady scientist was on her lonesome and was restlessly looking at all the monitors.

Click. "You can't honestly still be thinking this show is fooling us?"

Oh my. This sounded like a frustration rather than a preapproved conversation. I whispered from my corner, "How naughty of you, Miss Augusta."

"What?" Woman got flustered as though I was referring to more than this minor lapse in protocol. What else could she be up to?