5 M 1

Life was back on track. I could almost walk without support if it was just from room to room. Perhaps the thigh wasn't hurt as badly as I thought. I even resumed working in a limited capacity. Didn't entirely need to go all out, as Ruby had completely hijacked my project of returning the favour. I left him to it, it was a losing battle to argue with the stubborn bastard.

I lounged with the other freeloading homebodies in the downstairs den, occasionally assisting the kids with homework as the oldest and wisest in the room. Spouting nonsense about which I had little to no clue was just one of the perks of adulthood. Foolish youngsters! They'd soon learn they were the only ones they could rely on.

Dentist gave me a stink eye and called out to his peers, "Can't you see he's dumb as brick?"

This little shit!

"Not smart enough to help, but just enough to criticise?" I threw back at petulant child. He was well on his way to a wiser adulthood, and all thanks to me.

The boy sullenly sagged into himself and piped down, looking his age for once. I sighed and rubbed my face, "The wiseass is right, go get an actual adult. I'm just here to look pretty."

Dentist looked at me with suspicion as though expecting to get kicked and when that didn't come, turned and thundered up the stairs to the bedrooms.

A rowdy girl named Dancer plopped on my lap and I felt the bone shatter under her weight all over again. She haven't noticed in the slightest, hopping up and down and saying, "I liked your answer better. I'm telling that to the teacher."

"That's a bit pre-emptive? We haven't heard any other alternatives yet. Perhaps you'll prefer... like, the real one?" I ground out, shifting her onto the healthy leg.

"Nu-uh! Your answers are the best! They make everyone happy!"

"Well, if you keep that up, you'll end up being a comedian like me and mean people like Dentist won't like you anymore," I said hearing people descending. Couldn't let the little brat get complacent.

"Then I won't like him first!" she threw her wild curls over the shoulder in a manner I could only applaud... Perhaps I could adopt this one.

"What?!" the boy ran down last few steps and was frowning unpleasantly at me again. "I wouldn't ever not like you!"

"Uhhhhh," I hollered and the gang of little ones joined in.

"Children, children. What did you all need help with?" Amber was roused from napping, if those mattress marks was of any indication. Expression still weary after her day job, but tone - willing and enthusiastic. Perhaps this was why the shop really kept her.

All the others must be out. Even brats knew better than disturb the rest of earners.

Rowdy gang settled down and listened. I was so enraptured with the truth I started snoring. I knew for a fact I'd slept because I woke to an empty room. There was banging and shouting somewhere close by. Groggy mind couldn't work out the details but panic roused me into full alertness. I was drenched in cold sweat and didn't know why.

Pitched voices of girls and barking of several men out in the foyer. That voice. Voices. I knew exactly what that was about without really hearing them. They started looking for more playthings but nobody was game.

The speech came into focus, "... You whores dare to blacklist us? Us?"

"Slandering to whole god damn city?"

Amber was there, speaking soothingly. I heard the older foundlings too. Little ones knew to stay out of sight – the scene wasn't entirely unusual. However, this outrage didn't feel like it would be stopped with words. There would be blood. Moreover, it sounded like since the gig was up, they'd be taking someone with them regardless of willingness.