8 V 1

I loitered most of the following day. We ate breakfast and Almoner ran off to do a shift on the wall. It was still cold outside so I opted for more warm bed time. After finally catching up on all my beauty sleep I crawled out of the aged abode and ventured to see what other common folk were up to.

I saw quite a number of them walk around with riffles on their back and felt sudden urge to go back and bury my head in the pillow.

Braving the cracked up pavement regardless, I found out that the wry stares I was getting weren't imagined – which was odd. I even wore an ordinary t-shirt for once. Nevertheless, I was happy to finally stumble upon some normalcy. I waved to a couple of frowning women. Smiled blindingly at the scowling gangbangers. I could almost affix familiar faces from the city onto these people. The more things changed, the more they stayed the same.

Sadly, not all were leering from a distance.

"... And now you crawl out of that brat's place," a pushy nuisance spoke at me again and yet again I ignored him. I didn't like this particular specimen from the last visit, but then the brazen asshole wasn't bothering me directly. Perhaps I was worth the effort now that my face wasn't all swollen. "I knew..."

I turned and jumped up in pretend surprise. Right on time too - his paw was about to land on my shoulder. "Oh, good lord, say something next time!" I exclaimed.

Hefty man's eyes narrowed, unsure if I was insulting or just not entirely here. Some days I wasn't sure either. He settled on me being daft in favour of achieving his goal, "Shall we go to my place?"

Such an everyday suggestion. Better, even, as my usual place of business was an alley or a literal hole in the wall. And yet, there was no reason for me to be living that life anymore. I rocked on my heels, grinning. "And why would I do that?" I asked befuddled.

The arm ended up slung over my shoulder anyway. "Oh, don't play coy. I knew you were the type since I first saw you," sleazebag whispered to my ear. I didn't ask for details. I probably did look every bit of what I was. This was essentially just another brash client, I just didn't have the need for money any more.

I wish I had cigarettes to light up and pretend he wasn't here again. Perhaps I could pull one out of his pocket? Man's other hand landed to pat my chest and interfered with the grand plans. He insisted once again, "I can show you good time, you won't regret it."

Turns out I was ignoring him like a champ even without a prop. I sighed, because it was tiresome being so good at escaping my problems one way or the other. Or making them worse. It was dice roll.

I scoffed with genuine amusement. Tapped my lips with a finger, pretending to be in deep though and said, "Highly doubt that." As his grip tightened, I went on, "First of all, I would be showing you good time." The confused man stopped squeezing my nape. I shrugged with my pondering arm, purposefully aggravating the guy some more. "But why would I? I mean look at yourself. When was it you even shaved? Or, oof, washed?"

"Listen here, you whore," the other arm of his gripped my throat, but the amateur was terrible at this and my voice box was free to keep throwing insults.

I nodded along, "Hookers are your only hope of getting laid." I was too tired to be on my best behaviour and frankly several bruises would have done good job of reminding me to occasionally shut up. This wasn't a guy who'd take a simple no for an answer anyway. I'd have to demolish him, make him truly loathe the sight of me.

In a flash everything changed - and not for the worse. Mild shock. I blinked and found the man lying on the pavement and another standing over him. The dead eyes bore into me accusingly. Or with constipation. I had no idea.