6 R 2

I wondered how long of a break I would be permitted. Night fell and the monster had not moved or said anything. Time must have been a nonconcept to these immortal beings. They didn't even get tired. Or maybe some did? But why would anyone chose to keep that trait?

Several shapes moved along the plains, but nothing bothered us. Could not even see them well. Where was the skull-piercing voice or a many-legged horror? Hadn't called out because I was in no particular hurry to move. And nobody was curious to check up on the booming speech, so perhaps it was safe here.

It got quite cold in my strappy glory with all my junk hanging out. I started regretting throwing away the skin wrap which mysteriously radiated warmth all on its own... Should I go and cling to a leg or something? Still didn't want to break status quo and prompt continuation of the march though.

So I lay down on the grass and looked at the stars. Thickening moon reminded me of last time I'd observed it. Chest panged and I turned on my side. Laying on the cold ground outside reminded of more than just that recent night. My back sought out a source of warmth pressed to it but there was no one. I wiped at my face uselessly, but saltwater did not cease.

The constant, but relaxed ticking had a couple of extra beats and it was immediately noticeable. I did not move, but prepared myself to act. Fucking finally. I heard nothing else, no idea where threat could be coming from. But it was coming for the passive sonar switched to an actual silent growl.

My new master fearlessly awaited. What are the chances something scarier was coming along? Probably low. Though what did I know? Perhaps they just continued existing as a part of another creature and that's what eternity meant over there. Damn, did that mean I'd continue existing like that too if eaten? Ugh. Belated complications. I could ask, but then I'd reveal my intentions.

Out of nowhere the growl switched to a snarl and there were sounds of ripping and thrashing. I still didn't hear any other presence. Nothing at all to give it away. If I hadn't known how rigid the horned creature was, I'd think he just decided to monkey about for a bit. As it stood, this was probably a death match between a mute and blind - a prelude to a joke, one could say, and I regretted this to be a night. I would have been thrilled to see this play out.

It wasn't instantaneously concluded so I picked myself up and started sprinting towards the thicket some ways off. There I could maybe hide or even get eaten? I had no plans after reaching that.

The wind on my face felt great. It's been so long since I dashed at my full speed! These legs saved my thieving ass so many times. I was good at running. And the fool not only healed me, but also given plenty of strength for this.

Sure, darkness made me stumble here and there but thus far I avoided pitfalls. I got an eyeful of the surroundings during the day. The path I chose was as clear as it gets.

As I got closer to the shrubbery, urge to avoid it at all cost rose. It was so overpowering, I stopped without intending to. I couldn't go into there. At all. Something was in the trees, I just knew it. Something so alien a mere presence of it made me want to be away. Leaves rustled even though there was no wind. As much as it seemed I was halfway to fulfilling my plan, I decided I'd die to some other less dreadful thing. Took sharp left... downhill.

I had a sensation of going up whilst running down. The ground was lifting. Damn, falling and going splat would not serve my purpose. There needs to be nothing left. I hit something and fell down on my knees, breathing hard. Scenery had somewhat changed. There was still the brush close by, but plains now had entirely different outline. There was a house, sparse tall trees. Hallucination? Teleportation? One giant landslide? Whatever happened, lucky! Which was suspicious. But then again, I was trying to get eaten so...