6 R 1

Woke up to a sensation of being in a car again. Engine was on, scenery was changing, seat leathery and I wasn't cold. Did I fall asleep on the job? Unusual. There were few clients who even wanted to look at me after the deal was concluded, much less allow a sleep over. And I wasn't one to relax around strangers like that either. There was a nice older guy who'd paid me just to have someone else in the bed at night, but I did not slumber then either. Wonder what befell the man? Haven't seen him in what felt ages... and then I remembered why.

My hands clutched something that could have been a rich man's idea of a decorative blanket for how terrible it was, but shoulders felt chilled so I pulled on it until was sat in a bundle. My open eyes weren't seeing anything, even though sun was out and blasting in full force.

Being dead sucked. And I was expecting more darkness.

I licked dry lips and first time in ages tongue didn't snag onto all the empty spaces. Weird.

Little by little I started poking all other hurts I thought I suffered. I could breathe. The cheek didn't have orifice. Eye - no longer swollen. Arms were no longer charred stumps... but still tied together. Afterlife truly sucked.

Why the fuck was I still with consciousness, able to think these thoughts? I just wanted peace. I wanted not to consider existence without them anymore. Cherry was there from the start, the puny ginger who shared a pitiful-looking sandwich with two boys who'd been about to rob her. Lime was a reckless daredevil who'd join me on stupid escapades Ruby never wanted a part of. And Ruby... God.

I buried face in my palms and tried to scrub away things I was seeing. It didn't work, never did. The nails sunk in and I dragged them down. Sensation made me shudder. Not from the pain, but sheer recollection of having scratched at warm meat very recently.

So I wasn't dead. And that sucked even more.

Now I wanted to scream, wail, punch walls. Powerlessness kept me still. Crying never solved anything anyway. Nobody cared. Not anymore.

I guess I needed to bide my time – as I always have - until opportunity presents itself, which it usually did. Perhaps another monster will eat this one, or me. I had to make sure to get absolutely decimated in that case, because apparently this lumbering thing wasn't lying and could in fact put dead and dying flesh back together. Nothing hurt at all. Not even the aches I carried from early childhood.

Its motivation was laughably clear. Just like the pompous bastards at the villa, he had the power and exerted it. Saw what he liked and took it without asking. Seems like dynamics of power wasn't just a human inclination but rather a universal truth. How... eye-opening. It explained how the creature found common ground with those people. They were all the same.

Hey, perhaps it'll drop me dead just in the middle of the road one fine day like that girl? Hell, maybe today was even the day. But who was I kidding? I was never that lucky.

Stared into the blackness of low hanging hoodie. I needed to locate the boundaries. Establish some trust I could take advantage of.

"Unhook my arms," I demanded flatly, raising them in front of me. This time it carried me with one arm only, the show-off. The other one remained fixed at creature's side, not assisting with the quick gait in the slightest. Did the demon not figure out how to walk efficiently yet?

"Why bother? Just stick both of them in," a growling boomed.

"That ship has sailed. No longer interested," I replied frowning, having not a slightest doubt the creature would shear them off clean this time. Seemed fairly serious about that before already.