Ch. 4 - First Meet

How do I summon a time machine?

That was the only thing in my mind as I was waiting outside the principal's room. I really, really love my dad but sometimes - especially at times like this - his righteousness and need for honesty is a huge turn off.

Okay, I get it. He's morally pure and would tolerate no injustice. Afterall he's an advocate. My dad's aggressive honesty perfectly complements my mom's soft, serene purity. They're a match made in heaven. And I'm the daughter from hell.

Either I need a time machine or some supernatural powers to disappear from this embarrassment-of-a-situation. But since I have neither, I'm forced to go through this hell. Yay me.

==================

The 'confessing-session' went sweet and motivating at best. Guilt-tripping and embarrassing at worst. Now I would have to travel an hour to school and attend classes offline when all my new classmates could enjoy the online classes. I must also write the upcoming PA exam in school – monitored by teachers – while my classmates get to write online exams happily. The worst part was I couldn't even complain about it since I brought this upon myself.

I'm super good at getting myself into wonderful messes, aren't I?

God knows how much more trouble I'm going to put myself into.

I spent the rest of the day secretly sulking at the consequences, hating myself for being so dumb and acting like I'm happy about my dad's decision.

The next week went by in a blur. I woke up early and came to school with my dad. He dropped me and went to court – probably giving death sentences to criminals.

Okay, that was a joke. My dad is in the civil side of the law.

I wrote exams in the morning, attended classes in the afternoon – hoping anyone would come to school and give me company. I didn't mind the loneliness but let's just agree that a small, tiny part of me wanted Rohan to come.

But a major part of me relished the solitude. I went to the library and read whatever book I could find whenever there was a free period. Most of the times I get so engrossed in books that I didn't notice I made my dad wait too long.

I love reading more than I love chocolates. Which is a lot more than lot.

Coming to school often, my dad became friends with many staff members here. He is usually scary from afar but when he wants to befriend someone you can consider it done. My dad is a genius in both academics and in life. While I inherited the academic part, the 'genius in life' part missed out in my DNA. How nice.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, my dad got to know about an upcoming astronomy event conducted by our school in a zoo. A ZOO! Yes, I'm not joking - it was in the museum of an actual, famous zoo.

And I must volunteer in that event. My dad's orders. And I had to obey it like a good, little daughter. Just when can I become an adult?

==================

As scheduled, the event was happening on October 4, 2021. A normal day with neither too much nor too little sun along with a pleasant weather.

My whole family of 4 went to the see me volunteering in an astronomy event - all because it was a Sunday. Varun, my little brother, who is equivalent to an hellion, would enjoy it since he always had interest in astronomy. How I wished it was him volunteering instead of me....

We reached the venue earlier than expected and waited in the museum hall for others to join. The museum building was not too small, but it wasn't too big either. The walls were filled with portraits of various animals with their details written the caption. It was a simple hall with no decor, white walls and granite tiles. I took in every exhibition as I waited for further instructions.