Ch. 6 - Back to School

"Mira!! Wake up or else you'll miss your bus. Do you want to be absent on the first day of school?" My aunt said, trying to wake me up from sleep. I swear to god, people are so obsessed with seperating me and my love, sleep. You'd think being together for 14 years would make them leave us alone.

I lazily woke up and made my way to the bathroom. Today was the first day of offline school. After almost two years, I'm going to school.

I wondered how it'd been if I were still in my previous school - how my life had changed in this covid lockdown. The only thing I missed in my previous school was the School Captain badge and my best friend Varnika. Varnika and I lost contact when I deleted my instagram account. As for the bagde, I was the topper and an all-rounder so naturally the bagde was meant for me. The teachers adored me and I'm sure I'd have rocked the interview. Plus, there was no voting system for school appointees which leaves me with no uncertanity. I was the School Captain for primary section in 5th grade anyway, so I'm all to familiar with the duties. I don't think I could easily gain a name like that in this new school so the badge is out of option. I'd really miss saying commands & pledge in the prayer. I was looking forward to be able to do it again in 10th grade and 12th grade. It felt good to be in authority and I can't be normal no matter how much I tried. I wondered who would become the School Captain next year in my previous school.

I got ready while reminiscing about my past. Then, me and my aunt went to the bus stop. The bus was easily recognisable since it was a brand-new bus with my school's name written on all the sides. I went in and chose a random seat. I was in one of the early stops so there were only a few students in the bus. I noticed that the guy who was present in the astronomy event was also in my bus - Kamalesh, Rohan's friend. There was also another girl who was one year junior to me. I learned that her name was Lunasha and she seemed really sweet. Two more people got into the bus after me.

I didn't interact much with any of them since I'm an introvert and won't open up untill I get comfortable. I still missed my sleep. I would've literally hated waking up this early if I weren't so excited about meeting Rohan again. I wondered which bus Rohan would be in, if he had already started too. I didn't want to get my hopes up by thinking he would be in my bus. Surely, fate didn't love me that much.

It was around 7:20 a.m. in the morning and we still had more than half an hour to go to school. I chose to close my eyes and get a nap - wanting to look fresh on my first day. I slowly awoke when our bus was going on a rocky path. Indian roads. This is exactly why I don't (more like can't) sleep while travelling.

Cursing stupid roads for ruining my sleep, I chose to do the next best thing - looking around. I took in the surroundings - the trees, animals, vehicles, and the sky. The sky looked so pretty today. Hell, it looks pretty everyday. Clouds or not - I loved watching the sky. Especially the night sky. I used to lie down on the terrace and look up at the stars. I would tell random stuff to them. I even cried to them whenever I was upset. The sky in the day was beautiful but nothing comforted me like the night sky.

The stars were my friends.

The moon was my listener.

The midnight rain was my comfort.

The lightnings were my favourite sight.

The thunders were my favourite sound.

I loved nature with all of me. Not only because I found comfort in it, but also because of the love it provides us. We destroy it so much, use it however we want without giving anything back and take it for granted. Yet, it provides us the most beautiful world to live in. Nature's love is the living example of selfless, unconditional love.