Wine and Boyfriends

The band had started playing again and people were making their way to the dance floor.

Sanem watched the sleazy Fabri moving quickly through the crowd towards her again with a smug look on his face that made her feel uneasy.

But then in her peripheral vision, she saw Can making his way towards her as well. His expression was unreadable but his stride was purposeful, like a man on a mission.

Was it possible that they were both coming to ask her to dance? she thought.

Can had at least 6 inches on Fabri in height and easily made it to her first, his hand held out and his face pleading.

May I have this dance? Can asked with an apprehensive smile.

Seconds later, Fabri walked up with an undeniable scowl plastered on his face as he too, held out his hand

Sanem knew exactly who she would choose but she had the company to consider and the agony was clearly seen on her face by both men.

Suddenly, as Can's hand was about to close on hers, Deren came running up, calling for Fabri.

Mr. Fabri! We really need you to come back to the table and see about a problem with the wording of the contract, she said hurriedly, a bit out of breath from her apparent race to save Sanem.

Annoyed, he asked sternly, Does it have to be right now, Ms. Deren?

Looking first at Sanem and then at Fabri, she said confidently, Yes, I'm afraid so. But it won't take long. Please, come with me and let's settle this so you can go back to enjoying the party.

Deren winked at Can, shocking him at first until understanding dawned on his face. She had swooped in to help her friend out of an uncomfortable situation and he was part of the solution. Fabri turned on his heels without a word.

Sanem mouthed, Thank you, to her friend and colleague, as Can took her hand in his and walked her to the dance floor.

Can, thank you for helping me out of that dilemma. The guy is like a bad penny. I can't seem to get rid of him! Sanem said, looking up into his smiling face.

I'm happy to help, he said with that deep voice that affected her every time.

As he brought his arm around her waist, it brought back the memory of his strong embrace in Agva when he, once again, had saved her. She put her hands on his chest as they started to sway to the music.

I'm not much of a dancer but I think I can at least stay off your toes, Can teased, leaning into her ear.

Sanem's skin was instantly covered in goosebumps as she closed her eyes.

Being in Can's arms brought a sense of safety, rightness, wholeness. She knew in that moment that ending things with Julian had been the right thing to do.