Charity Balls and Surprises

Sanem spent the next day with her parents, talking and laughing. Her dad looked tired but he seemed to be happy that he was back at work, even if just for a short time.

Baba, how are you feeling? You're not overdoing it, are you? she asked as she took his hand.

Well, after laying up for awhile, I have to admit it's been hard going back to the grind at work but I needed to. You all have taken on too much in my absence. I'm happy to be of some help at least. I'm sure I'll be back full time soon, he answered, not wanting her to worry.

Anne has been taking good care of you, I see, she said as she smiled and winked.

Laughing heartily, Nehat answered, Yes. It's been so good to be home with her like this, I have to admit.

Hugging him tightly, Sanem said, Baba, Leyla and I are so thrilled to see you two so happy together again. It's all we've ever wanted for you.

What is? Mevkibe asked as she walked in the living room with tea for them all.

Pulling back from her dad, Sanem answered, Seeing you two, like this again.

Smiling and holding out her hand to her daughter, Mevkibe said, It's been a long time coming but I'm happier than I've been in a very long time. I said what needed to be said to your grandmother recently and made sure she understood that she had no place to interfere in our lives anymore. Besides, I don't know what I would've done if something would have hap-...

Let's not talk about that, now, askim. I'm here and other than being out of my routine, I'm fine. So, tell us what's been going on with you, Sanem, Nehat said, as they all settled down to have tea.

Well, it's been busy at work, as you know. But other than that, it's been pretty quiet, she said, not making eye contact with them as she sipped from her cup.

Mevkibe knew her daughter well. She was holding something back.

So..nothing new, then? Maybe someone new? she asked, holding in a smile.

Well, I, um, I mean, Sanem stuttered. She could evade her mother's questions but couldn't outright lie to her.

Leave her alone, Mevkibe, Nehat said, as he tapped her hand lightly.

What? I'm just asking a question, she answered, trying to hide her smile.

Anne, I wanted to see if it was ok to make some of my fragrances today? Could you give up the kitchen for a few hours? I'll buy lunch! Sanem said enthusiastically.

Absolutely! I'll be happy to take a day off from cooking, Mevkibe joked. Where did you have in mind? I can go and pick it up when you're both ready to eat so you can work.

Oh, thank you, anne. Actually there's a great seafood place that Can..Sanem said and stopped suddenly, her face going ashen, then red.

Tilting her head and smiling, Mevkibe asked, That Can, what? Did you go out with Can? 

I, I, uh..oh, anne. Yes, ok, ok! We had dinner recently but we're just friends, she answered shyly.

Oh..I see, she answered, winking at Nehat who motioned for her to stop.

Well..I'll go get started then. Thanks for the kitchen, anne, Sanem said as she hurried away.

Chuckling, Mevkibe whispered, Nehat, Well, what do you think? Are they dating? Have you heard anything at the office about them?

Nehat answered, Askim, I've been inundated with trying to catch up so no, I haven't heard anything.

Rolling her eyes, she murmured, If it was about football, I bet you would have paid attention.