Confessions and Albatross Landings

By Friday afternoon, Can and Sanem were both trying unsuccessfully to conceal their giddy nervousness about their date. Stolen looks and face splitting smiles when the other one was anywhere near was a sure give away.

Sanem had told Can to pick her up at Leyla's apartment instead of at her parent's house. He figured it was because she wasn't ready to tell them about their date and wasn't quite sure how he felt about that but conceded. He assumed she had told Leyla, just as he had told Emre.

In actuality, that was the biggest reason why Sanem told him that but she also needed Leyla's help getting ready. She wanted to find out where she and Can were before bringing in her parents. She needed some more clarity.

When the work day was finally over, she got a text from him saying he couldn't wait to see her in a few hours. It had been a long and tough day, as she had suspected and texted back that she was looking forward to it as well.

Rushing into the apartment, Leyla and Sanem laid out her dress choices while Leyla got her huge assortment of makeup ready. When she walked in the room and saw Sanem holding up a lovely white, thin strapped dressed with a thigh slit, she exclaimed, That's the one, abla!

You think so? He won't tell me where we're going so I don't want to be overdressed or look too..anxious, you know? she said as she tilted her head in thought.

No, abla. That is perfect, Leyla confirmed with a nod.

Ok, I trust you. I'll go take a quick shower and then we can do hair and makeup, she said, hurrying to the bathroom.

Soon after, they were talking as Leyla pulled her hair into a beautiful messy bun after giving Sanem's hair a few curls. Makeup was next, going for a little more of a dramatic look than her sister usually wore. 

So, lunch sounded like it was fun, Leyla! Sanem said after hearing about her and Emre's first lunch date.

It was very chill. I mean it wasn't a first date like this is but it's a start. Emre is very shy and I think he's still grappling with the idea that I'm his boss. I think it's a little easier with you and Can because you're temporarily in this position, you know? Leyla explained as she finished up.

Either way, it shouldn't make a difference. We certainly don't feel that way about Can and Emre. You just have to keep making it clear to him, abla. He will come around, Sanem said enthusiastically.

Nodding her head and smiling, Leyla said, Yes, I think so too. He's funny, actually. We laughed a lot. 

But I'm sorry it meant you had another run in with Grandfather, though, Leyla continued, frowning at the thought.

Shaking her head, Sanem answered, No, it was fine. I've just had enough of his ugly ways. I'm not going to let him speak badly about people I care about anymore, especially baba. So, let me ask you. You didn't have any idea about the tuition either, you said? We haven't had a chance to really talk much about it alone since that night at anne's house.

NO! I would have said something. I mean, knowing that we were never anywhere as wealthy as them, you and I kept to a strict budget while we were in university. I remember when I first started, anne and baba would try to send me what they called "extra money" that I always refused believing they were sacrificing to send me there in the first place. What I realize now is that the extra was their money. Ugh, it's just all so messy, Leyla said with a scowl.

They did the same with me and I also refused. I can't imagine what it made baba, especially, feel like knowing he couldn't pay for these expensive schools, Sanem said, a tear forming.

Now listen, Sanem. We were young. We had no idea what was going on nor did we know what their finances were. You know anne. That was a taboo subject. No one could fault us for thinking any differently than we did. Besides, it's all out in the open now and all is forgiven. From now on, we know the truth and we just have to be careful in front of our grandparents. I'm trying not to dislike them but they make it so hard to do otherwise, Leyla said defiantly.