Taking Chances and Finding Hope

Sanem ran into her parents' living room with Can following right behind her.

Anne! she called out, and finding her mother crying alone in the slightly dark living room, her heart broken.

Anne, she whispered as she gathered her in her arms and wept together.

Can slowly sat down nearby, not wanting to disturb them but making sure they knew he was close.

Where is baba? Why, why did they call? We were to see them soon, Sanem asked as mother gathered her strength.

He, um, he went to bed. He was exhausted from work and wasn't able to wait for you and Leyla. He said he would see you in the morning. They wanted us to know as soon as possible so they called. They will reschedule the appointment we had into one with an oncologist, Mevkibe answered, wiping tears from her eyes.

Besides, I didn't want him to see me like this, she continued.

What did he say when he got the news? What are they saying are our options, Sanem continued, lifting her head when she heard Leyla come in with Emre in tow.

Anne? Anne! I'm here. Where is baba? Leyla cried, kneeling in front of her mother.

They don't know much without a biopsy but they said it was a large mass in his stomach. We will know more once we talk to the oncologist. I tried to understand everything but after they said that word, my heart beat so loud I couldn't hear them, she said, the tears coming fresh again.

Emre walked in and patted his brother on the shoulder and squeezed. Can did the same with Emre's hand, neither knowing how they could help.

Baba didn't say much. You know him. Stoic and strong. He said we would fight this together and that he was going to be alright. He didn't want us to worry, Mevkibe answered, sobbing. I can't lose him, girls. I can't!

Leyla and Sanem held their mother as she cried, not knowing what to say.

Can stood up and came and kneeled in front of them with his large hands spread over the three women.

Mevkibe, if there is one thing I've learned about the Aydin family is that they are strong and brave. We don't know what will happen but I know this for certain. Nehat will fight. You will fight, all of you. You won't let this take you down. You will take this one day at a time and face it together. And know this. My family will be fighting with you, right there, helping any way we can, he said with all the confidence he could muster.

Emre nodded as he put his arm around Mevkibe and Leyla.

Can is right. We will get through this together. You're not alone in this fight, he said softly.

Sanem looked into the face of this man who she loved with everything in her and thanked him with her eyes. Can put his big warm hand on her cheek and nodded, letting her know that he was there no matter what.

Emre rubbed Leyla's back gently, making her cry at the knowledge that he too was making his presence known.

Thank you, Can. Emre. You are both a part of our family so you're right. We will fight this with everything we have, Mevkibe said, taking a big inhale in.

That's right, anne. If love could cure this, baba would already be well, Sanem said with a sad smile, kissing her mother on the cheek and holding Leyla's hand.

Emre knew that Can wouldn't leave unless he knew Sanem would be alright without him and talked him into heading out so they could get some rest.

Sanem walked him out to the door, holding his hand with a tight grip.