Readings and Reunions

Can's mind was racing. 

Why was Julian in Paris and why was he and Sanem together at this party? 

What would Julian have to do with the perfume business? Had she invited him to attend?

Would he ever be rid of this man from her past?

He rubbed his hand over his face roughly, causing some of his hair to pull free from his tight ponytail.

Are you alright? the bartender asked, looking at Can curiously.

Yes, sorry. I'm alright, he answered, handing him some money for the drink.

She's very beautiful, the bartender said with a smile.

Can looked at him, confused thinking he was referring to Sanem in the photos.

She's the most beautiful woman in the world, he muttered, causing the bartender's eyebrows to lift high.

So what are you waiting for? he said with a chuckle, pointing to the keycard.

Realizing what he was referring to, Can picked it up and walked out of the bar.

Turning it over in his hands, he thought about what Portia had said.

The beautiful girl in the photo won't be alone tonight.

The thought made Can ill, his stomach clenching in pain.

Can had always assumed Sanem and Julian had been intimate even though she had insinuated they hadn't in one of their conversations. His heart thud in his chest as the thought of them being together tonight, maybe in this very hotel, made the pain intensify.

He looked at the keycard again as he walked towards the elevators, his mind in a fog. 

When the elevator came to a stop, Can walked in, seeing that he was alone inside and as the doors closed, he pressed the button for the floor he now intended to get off on.

Alone. He was alone not only in this ornate elevator but in his life. He closed his eyes and pictured the memories that were never far from his mind.

Sanem. The memories were always of Sanem. 

Sanem who loved him but left him.

Sanem who said she had made a mistake.

Sanem who said she wasn't in love with him.

When the elevator pinged the arrival to the floor he sought, he looked up and nodded his head.

He had made up his mind.

Walking out into the hallway, he looked for the room number. Standing in front of the door, he put the keycard in and watched the light turn green.

When he turned the door handle, he walked in, seeing that the lights were dimmed and the bed was turned down.

Throwing the keycard on the desk, he sat on the bed and grabbed his phone when it started ringing. Answering the call, he said, Yes, Gio. I just got back to my room. No, I'm in for the night. I'm headed to bed now. Ok, Ok, I'll see you at the bookstore tomorrow.

__________________

Can and his team were brought in through the back entrance as the people lining up to enter the bookstore was loudly anticipating the reading.

Smiling and taking photos with the staff, he humbly thanked them for having him. Gio had gotten there early to make sure everything was running smoothly.

Can, you don't look like a man who got to bed early like you said you would, he said as he looked at his friend's dark circles.

Sighing Can answered, I tried but I had a lot on my mind last night.