Facing the Past and Looking into the Future

Anne! Baba! Can yelled as his parents take turns pulling him into an embrace as he leaves the arrivals terminal in Istanbul.

Can! Oh my son, I have missed you so much, Merhaba says as she wipes a tear. Look at you! An international star.

Can laughs as he touches her cheek with his big hand, so happy to be home.

His team allowed him to go home unannounced for a few days, which he was grateful for. They would join him for upcoming events.

Son, were there no barbers on the road to stardom? Aziz teases as he looked at Can's new appearance.

Throwing his head back and laughing even louder, Can replied, What? You don't like my pirate look, baba?

Joining in the laughter, Aziz answers, I don't care if you came home looking like a street mime, as long as you came home.

Can walked flanked by his parents, all three talking over one another in animated conversation as they drug is luggage behind them.

And Emre? Can asks as they approach the automatic doors leading to the street.

He's waiting for us in the parking lot, Merhaba said as they approached the car.

Abi! Emre exclaimed as he met Can halfway to car in a tight embrace.

Emre, oh man you're a sight for sore eyes. It's so good to see you, abi, Can said as they slapped each other's backs with affection.

Baba, you didn't tell me I had a pirate for a brother, he teased as he helped Can put the luggage in the car.

Rolling his eyes, Can said, Yeah, well, Johnny Depp has nothing on me!

I can't wait for Osman to see you. He might be able to get you into one of his movies, Emre said as they all laughed together. He teased him about his braids and the albatross in his hair.

So, Can. How does it feel to be a bestselling author? Merhaba asked, knowing she had asked him that question before while he was away.

With a twinkle in his eyes, Can answered, Right now, all this author wants is his anne's home cooking.