Chapter 19 - Where?

Antonio

We weren't able to track that bastard so now we have to watch the videotape of the video-call from yesterday in hope of finding something useful. I have watched the videotape repeatedly since I woke up but without luck.

A knock at my door makes me sigh in frustration. "Come in!"

A maid walks inside with a tray with food. "Sorry to disturb you sir," she simply says and switches my untouched breakfast out with a new plate with lunch and a big glass of water.

She walks out again but stops at the door. What now?

"Oh hello Mr. Riccardo."

"Hello miss," my dad's deep voice sounds.

I repeat the same three seconds in the video.

"Antonio... you have watched that video a thousand times, people are already working on it, you should take a break- "

"Wait." I cut him off and hold up my hand.

The silence. The volume.

"What?"

"Get Baldassare."

"What- "

"Now!" I only take my eyes off my computer for a second, and see my dad leaves my office.

Baldassare walks inside with my dad right behind him.

"What's up?" he asks, he stands behind me looking at my computer. I stand up and gesture him to take my seat. I start the video.

"See." I point at the screen.

"What?"

"Go back."

"There is silence, but the volume goes up..." Dad is now looking at the screen too with a slight hope in his eyes. "Can you do so we can hear it?"

"Maybe, give me a couple minutes."

He begins to do things I don't understand. 10 minutes pass by before Baldassare speaks.

"Okay, this is the best I can do." He plays the video.

It's hard to classify, it's a weird sound, not clear at all but I have a feeling that this can help us get closer to finding Alessia before it's too late.

"...I know a program that can identify sounds but it's going to take a while."

"Download it for me so I can hear it."

"Okay."

*

Baldassare leaves my office and goes to the Living Room.

I sit on the couch in my office, resting my head in my hand, listening to the same sound on and on again.

The sound, it feels so simple but yet so hard to identify.

I think I have listened to the sound around 150 times before someone rushes inside my office without knocking. I get angry, no one comes in without knocking. My anger quickly disappears when I see Baldassare.

I don't even get to stand up before my dad, brothers, sons, and nephews rush inside.

I stand up and follow Baldassare to my desk, he takes my seat.

"What is it?" I ask him desperately.

"The program says it's a metal drum."

No one says anything, trying to let what Baldassare just said in.